What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recent issues...

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPad 2 has half the RAM of iPad 3 and 4. And iPad 1 has half the RAM of iPad 2.

Your iPad will increasingly show its limitations as newer firmware and apps take advantage of the improved guts in newer iPads.

You can try closing out apps, resetting/restarting, and restoring to factory conditions and reloading everything, but that will not change an older iPad's hardware limitations.

Yes, my 2 is slowing don't but it is still usable.

Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 using Tapatalk HD

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think upgraded firmware also comes into play. With the intro of iOS 5, I noticed many more crashes on iPad 1, tied to RAM, according to my diagnostics logs. Apple must've seen a pattern, because it soon came out with fixed iOS 5.1, which eased the frequency of crashes, and then more so with 5.1.1. There are only so many hardware resources to go around, and if firmware and apps are increasingly tapping on the same RAM, something's got to give. That's an Apple responsibility, because they're responsible for firmware and have control of apps as well.

That said, tech inevitably needs upgrading, so I don't expect devices to last indefinitely. I've gotten loads of use from my iPad 1 and will keep using it, though in more limited fashion, like for movies and photos.

Good points.

Most reactions