Reasons the iPad is Better than a Netbook

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by 4phun, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bremen

Bremen
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Good read. I like my netbook, but the iPad is way better. I would sell my netbook, but it's handy to sync the iPad to. What most people don't seem to get is sure my netbook can do just about every thing iPad can. But it is easier, faster, more comfortable and fun on the iPad.....

2. 4phun

4phun
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:

So should we make that reason 16?

3. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Excellent big tick for all listed. Colin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. 4phun

4phun
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Netbooks eat power while sleeping.

A netbook and for that matter any PC can be put in hibernate mode from which they boot rather quickly compared to a cold boot. The problem is in a portable that eats up the battery over time as power is used to maintain its state.

Leaving the iPad off just allows it to be used the next day with instant on.

To me that is an incredible plus for the iPad that all the iPad wannabes are going to fail to match if they keep the weight lite. If they equip their iPad with Windows 7 or Android with a heavy 24 volt marine battery of course they will have a more or less portable tablet that lasts as long as an iPad. They just will never have thin and lite weight with long life as the iPad does. If they came close it will be butt ugly slow as one way to save power is to slow down the CPU.

They may produce smoke and mirrors and a lot of geek noise but if you look closely enough they will fail in one of these areas.

#14 4phun, Apr 18, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  5. Zardoz

Zardoz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    The screen res and the opportunity to use that res is what will set it apart from the touch and iPhone. The iPad is not met to replace any one device that apple offers, but to fit somewhere in the middle.

If you find yourself needing USB storage and to be able to create and share large files some content creation the iPad may not be what you need I would go with a Mac book or Maybe the 13" mac book pro something more suited for that. If you need smaller and more mobile iPod touch or iPhone.

6. coregeek

coregeek
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm the author of this list. It's nice to see some love here. The trolls have been in force in the comments @ Erictric. That's to be expected though. Looking forward to hanging out here in the future.

#16 coregeek, Apr 18, 2010
  7. Bremen

Bremen
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Welcome core geek.... Good list, and I can imagine the haters got pretty worked up. Hope you will hang out with is and contribute often....

8. 4phun

4phun
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Hey buddy

Welcome Eric, that post of yours has been warmly received by many.

The Apple haters, I have two polices towards.

Don't answer a fool according to his foolishness that you become like him. (The woefully headstrong ignorant = trolls)

Answer a fool according to his foolishness that he doesn't become wise in his own eyes.
    (The truly uninformed need more facts and understanding of the subject as they have reached wrong conclusions.)

Those two proverbs are thousands of years old.

#18 4phun, Apr 18, 2010
  9. Isaac Newton

Isaac Newton
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Besides...the iPad is just plain sexier!

10. DavidNM

DavidNM
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Here's another one: Always on - wherever you go - in the car - at work - in the park - at a restaurant - meeting someone on the street - always there and always ready!

Oops - wait a minute - give it a week or two for this one :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.