1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Really Frustrated with iPad Today...

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by NumbLock, Jun 27, 2010.

1. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    I spent yesterday reconfiguring my router because the kids with their first-generation iPod Touch can get Wi-Fi connection in the yard ten meters farther than my iPad can.

I even fiddled with the silly brightness settings like they say that you can try.

Still I get occasional dropouts, so I disabled the N connection and configured everything just like Apple recommends, and set all the computers in my house to the new settings.

It didn't really help.

I used a couple of apps to create a new signature for the iPhone4Forum.net but I can't upload it because the iOS is frustratingly limited (they disable the Upload button on all websites including this forum, websites and Facebook).

The honeymoon is over.

Sent from my Windows 7 laptop.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    Oh, and copying my PDFs to the iPad is a total crap. Why doesn't the iTunes support the sub folders in Apps File-Management feature?

You can't even LOOK in the sub folders that it lets you create? So you end up with duplicates.

At least I can copy my files using USB-stick mode that Apple generously provides for photos only.

Thanks for thinking of me, Steve, so I can upload my photos using my Windows 7 laptop.
  3. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I feel your pain my brother! The distance at which I can reliably receive a WiFi signal varies from one day to the next for no good reason whatsoever. Maybe it has something to do with solar flares, the phase of the moon or the general alignment of the planets. Who knows?

And on a different subject... my wife and I spent a couple of days in Zurich in 2008 as part of a week long Bavarian vacation and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
  4. Itzxdjx

Itzxdjx iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  5. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    The iPad has potential for much longer range than the iPod Touch. iPod Touch has 802.11b/g wifi built in while the iPad has 802.11b/g/n.

802.11n has a lot more signal range letting you connect much farther away and it also makes wireless speeds much better.

The thing is that in order to get the benefits of 802.11n you will need a wireless router that is also 802.11n. wireless routers that are 802.11n are also backwards compatible with 802.11b/g devices and can even slightly improve the performance on those devices.

It may be worth your while to upgrade you wireless router to support wireless N devices if your having issues with the signal not reaching as far as you need.
  6. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    The iPad is a media tablet NOT a full blown computing device. It is essentially a big souped up iPod Touch.

Why are you trying to make it do things that it wasn't designed to?

Maybe the Apple iSlate which will be the iPad's big brother will come with Mac OS X!
  7. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    I got better range when I disabled N, but never as good as an old 1st gen iPod Touch.
  8. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    If Facebook app can do it, why can't Safari?

I'm more angry with the iOS platform. I've written software, and I know how easy it is to upload a picture.
  9. Fotonutz

Fotonutz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with Mike. The iPad is definitely capable of a longer reach. Managed to connect to my home router from my condo's swimming pool which is about 100m away. I'm using the Airport Extreme.

Think it has the potential to go further if I bothered to venture further away....but since the deck chair was there, I just stopped there :D

From the deck chair to my apartment on the 8th floor, I was able to get two bars on the wifi signal icon @ 8Mbps.
  10. Bremen

Bremen iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    :eek: Wow, that is good reception! I get a good signal out of my old "g" router, but I don't think I could do that.....
  11. Matth3w

Matth3w iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I use wireless N for mine, as well. Right now I'm using a Netgear WNDR3300
  12. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Actually I get pretty respectable connectivity with my iPod Touch. I have an N router (D-Link DIR615), but have it throttled back to b/g. I use my iPod Touch to listen to streaming audio when cutting my lawn... all 3 acres of it!

[​IMG]

The router is located in my "man cave" where the red arrow is pointing. The property is roughly 350 feet front to back and side to side. For the most part, it almost never drops out.
  13. Arthur Hucksake

Arthur Hucksake iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yet I have problems getting a signal upstairs somedays. Scan the area and it's a clusterfeck of wifi activity.
  14. Fotonutz

Fotonutz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Bremen,

Oh, that's because I had a clear line of sight from my apartment to the pool.
    Using SpeedTestX, the throughput I got from my router is 8 Mbps even though I signed up for a 10Mbps plan.

But at home, it's a different story as I'm only getting 2 bars at 5 Mbps.
    Guess my home has too many interference......
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  15. rickm1350

rickm1350 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    if you have a lot of other WiFi acitvity in your area, make sure you change to a channel that everyone is not using. Most wireless routers all default to the same channel. Change your channel to say Channel 1 or 2 and see if it works any better.
  16. crimlaw

crimlaw iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not that this adds much, but i have a verizon fios router and it sucks. I am able tp get signal all around the house, but if i go to the extreme opposite side of the house, or outside, I lose it.

Just a heads up for anyone considering an iPad with a fios router.
  17. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +426 / 0
    I have a netgear n router at home both iPhone and iPad have same range in fact iPad seems to get even further which makes sense in saying that the iPad disconnects reconnects more often than I would like waiting for upgrade to resolve that one. At work however I have a IT controlled wifi network which causes the iPad to hang when surfing and some times same with iPhone 3GS. In other words unstable again hoping for a fix

Col.
  18. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    I have exactly the same router, also set th b/g! I think the difference is the houses here in Switzerland are friggin sturdy. From my living room, my wifi signal has to go through three feet of reinforced concrete to get to my back yard. I was still disappointed that my Windows PC and two badly beaten iPod Touches got much better signal, download speed and reliability.

I still love my iPad, but needed to vent :D

Oh, and banning spammers always cheers me up ;) seems there is always lots of that to do! :(
  19. Fotonutz

Fotonutz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good grief, 3 ft of reinforced concrete?
    Mine is only 8" thick and I'm complaining about signal degradation. I can empathize with your situation:D

On a side note, have you guys come across any wifi network analyzing apps like Netstumbler where it shows you the signal strength of the available WiFi ?

Edit : nevermind......just found it. It's called WiFi Scan and it was just released 2 days ago.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2010