What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Really frustrated at ipad 2 slowness with ios 7

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ve noticed my iPad is SO much slower now since IOS 7! I am constantly closing programs (I notice a slowness and not being able to get on websites with only 2-3 apps open). Has anyone discovered anyway to speed things up again?? Thanks!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What features do you have turned on? Do you run a lot of background apps? Have you performed a hard reset recently? There are quite a few features that can be turned off if you don't use them that might help. Bluetooth, push notifications, email fetch, and automatic app updates are some I can think of.

I also have an iPad 2 and find that overall it runs just as good with iOS 7 as it did iOS 6. A few things are slightly slower but others seem better so it's a wash for me.

OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How can I tell what features I have turned on? Everything else is the same...only getting on actual we pages is slower.

What features do you have turned on? Do you run a lot of background apps? Have you performed a hard reset recently? There are quite a few features that can be turned off if you don't use them that might help. Bluetooth, push notifications, email fetch, and automatic app updates are some I can think of. I also have an iPad 2 and find that overall it runs just as good with iOS 7 as it did iOS 6. A few things are slightly slower but others seem better so it's a wash for me.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
How can I tell what features I have turned on? Everything else is the same...only getting on actual we pages is slower.

If not already done and as suggested previously, please 'Reset' your iPad - may help (directions below if unfamiliar w/ the procedure - and please wait until the device starts to reboot) - good luck and please post back if the maneuver works - will likely aid others - Dave :)

Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually I've been resetting it daily in an attempt to quicken up web pages loading but it hasn't. If a page won't load I have to close all programs (I've gotten to where only 2-3 are open at anytime ) close safari, re start safari and then the page loads. Thing is with ios 6 I used to go for DAYS with lots of apps open and it never affected anything.
Thanks Annette

QUOTE="giradman;1006747"] If not already done and as suggested previously, please 'Reset' your iPad - may help (directions below if unfamiliar w/ the procedure - and please wait until the device starts to reboot) - good luck and please post back if the maneuver works - will likely aid others - Dave :) [/QUOTE]

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Possibly because of the reindexing that comes with iOS 7. If it's persistent, it's recommended that you restore the device (after backing up of course) and prior to restoring the backup, see if the issue is resolved. Restore the backup, and see if the problem still persists.

Also note that your ability to cache or access your cache also reflects on the amount of readily available storage that you have as a portion of it, so if you're running low on storage space, it's possible that your device will have a slow load-up of your cached data or even opening a fresh app.

OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My storage says I gave 2.8 GB available. That's iCloud. Not sure how to tell how much storage is available on the device?
Thanks Annette

QUOTE="willerz2;1006888"]Possibly because of the reindexing that comes with iOS 7. If it's persistent, it's recommended that you restore the device (after backing up of course) and prior to restoring the backup, see if the issue is resolved. Restore the backup, and see if the problem still persists. Also note that your ability to cache or access your cache also reflects on the amount of readily available storage that you have as a portion of it, so if you're running low on storage space, it's possible that your device will have a slow load-up of your cached data or even opening a fresh app.[/QUOTE]

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On-board storage can be viewed on iTunes if the device is connected. Or, you can head over to Settings.app > General > Usage. It should be split into two portions. On-board storage is on the top, then iCloud is underneath.

OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On-board storage can be viewed on iTunes if the device is connected. Or, you can head over to Settings.app > General > Usage. It should be split into two portions. On-board storage is on the top, then iCloud is underneath.

Thank you! Ok it says 10.9 available, 17. 9 used

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Then it's certainly not a lack of storage issue. Backup the device and restore it to a fresh copy of iOS 7.0.2, then see if the issue still remains. Then restore the backup, and see if the issue returns. Was the device updated to iOS 7? Or was it restored to iOS 7?

OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It was updated from ios6 to ios 7

QUOTE="willerz2;1007180"]Then it's certainly not a lack of storage issue. Backup the device and restore it to a fresh copy of iOS 7.0.2, then see if the issue still remains. Then restore the backup, and see if the issue returns. Was the device updated to iOS 7? Or was it restored to iOS 7?[/QUOTE]

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Hmmmm, doesn't sound like its features then. It's just browsing that's slow? Has your internet connection or provider changed? Is there a way to try some other devices ousting your router and wifi connection? Might be worth checking into.

Although, if auto app updates is turned ON, that could be stealing bandwidth. That's under Settings/general. Try turning that off just to see what happens.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd recommend backing up the device and restoring it completely to iOS 7.0.2 and see if the issue persists. It might be the re-indexing phase that your device is currently experiencing if it's been about a week since the update.

Most reactions

Latest posts