What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Real reason Apple patches jailbreaks?

inmy328xi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just don't understand why apple wants to take away the users ability to personalize their iPads. I understand the fact that people may download illegal apps but for the legit users like myself why all the fuss????

Reaction score
I don't know if it's an intentional patch as much as the way Apple updates things is a totally new version instead of overwriting updates onto the existing. From what I understand starting with ios5 the update method will become updates only. This may change the Jailbreak and it may not.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know why either. They spend millions just to prevent a jailbreak that will come anyway. OTA updated should allow us to be jailbroken forever!

Oops

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They just don't want you to customize their propriety software.... Appears they have a complex in that sense *shrug*

Agree with Gray... Waste of money trying to stop it when it will just force people to want it more... And it eventually will come out.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers

GenerationX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They prevent jailbreaking yet they hire jailbreakers( Peter hajas mobile notifier )and steal ideas (wifi sync )

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very interesting thread!! I love reading all the responses and JB has always fascinated me. :)

But let's remember the rules and stay on topic. Just a friendly reminder.;)

brrip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Now see ~ how do you know this? And you are accusing Apple of stealing?

hmm.....

Exactly. There is no patent on wifi syncing.

they even used pretty much the same icon for it. i'm sure they wrote their own code, but the idea is a bit too similar you have to admit.

as to why apple stops jailbreak, it's to keep the numbers of people jailbreaking low. they want it to be a hassle to access stores other than their own. if apple didn't patch jailbreaks with updates, there would be more than one cydia type store, and some of them will compete directly with apps the app store is selling, except apple won't get their cut of the profits.

and of course, their stand is that cydia tweaks (as most of them clearly state) can mess with your device and cause side effects which apple paid employees have to help you sort out. this just doesn't make sense from any company's point of view.

let's not forget the p-word that nobody dare utter here ;)

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's lame about the whole wifi sync is the developer submitted it to Apple and they denied it so he took it to Cydia. Now Apple is going to release their own. True there is no patent on wifi syncing but if it was the other way around I wouldn't be surprised to read that Apple was suing the developer. We are not supposed to link to other forums so here is the text from that story.

The jailbreak community routinely develops apps and other iOS enhancements that Apple either can’t or won’t come out with on their own. Sometimes, however, Apple does get inspiration from the jailbreak community and releases new features eerily similar to those first found in the Cydia online store. UK jailbreak developer Greg Hughes has now had a first hand experience with this phenomenon. When Apple unveiled iOS 5 earlier this week at the WWDC, he was quite surprise to find Wi-Fi Sync included as a new feature.

Now you may be thinking that Apple was bound to come out with this feature sooner or later. However, Greg Hughes submitted an app called Wi-Fi Sync to the app store about a year ago. “I'd been selling my app with that name and icon for at least a year. Apple knew that, as I'd submitted it to them, so it was surprising to see that.â€

It was quickly rejected because of Apple’s claim that it violated the terms of the iPhone SDK. Apple representative did call him personally, however, to inform him of their decision.

According to Mr. Hughes, "They did say that the iPhone engineering team had looked at it and were impressed. They asked for my CV (resume) as well." Since Wi-Fi Sync’s rejection from the App Store, Greg has sold more than 50,000 copies at $9.99 through the Cydia store.

If you look at the two apps side by side, it’s easy to see why Mr. Hughes was "shocked" when he found out about it. Not only do both apps offer the same features, but the icons are remarkably similar as well.

Would Apple have eventually come out with Wi-Fi Syncing. More than likely. Is this a bitter pill to swallow for the developer who first introduced this feature? Absolutely. I wonder what jailbreak features Apple will be inspired to include with next major iOS update?

Froznking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am extremely angry with apples no jbing rule. I know exactly why the us says it is legal and will be upheld till mircosofts goes under

This all started with Netscape, Apple suing Internet explorer, Microsoft.. For microsft "monopolizing" the browser market on their Repeat their software, windows!!! I and most other people see this as gross misconduct hence jail breaking is not illegal.. And hopefully my crazy theory is correct and Microsoft will pay the lawyers to keep apple at bay...

Lol don't like apple culture, thats a bigger rant, but their devices,IPhone and iPad are good products made great by 3rd party developers that do not abide by a culture I wholly do not accept.

Most reactions

Latest posts