What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reading scanned images pdf

Kokujin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend what app to use or just how can I read a scanned image based PDF file? I have tried many apps but no success up until now.

Can anyone please help?

Stevemac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kokujin said:
Can anyone recommend what app to use or just how can I read a scanned image based PDF file? I have tried many apps but no success up until now.

Can anyone please help?

You dont say what youve tried. I use Goodreader - very versatile, does loads more than just reading pdf's

OP
K

Kokujin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stevemac said:
You dont say what youve tried. I use Goodreader - very versatile, does loads more than just reading pdf's

Tried

O good reader
O stanza
O docs to go
O iread PDF
O book man

They come with the adobe icon, the files fine on laptop but iPad is where I need them!!

I've read others having issues reading scanned images PDFs but can no solution to this on iPad as yet. Surely someone must have figured this out or some developer has a solution!!

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good reader cannot read your scanned PDF files? I use good reader and it works for it.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
K

Kokujin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The error from Goodreader is :-

O for best experience open this PDF portfolio in Acrobat 9 or Adobe Reader 9 or later.

It just shows the big adobe PDF logo and says page 1 of 1 when the 39 mb files has many scanned image pages.

Any ideas anyone, I can't keep spending money on different apps.

Txs

JTravers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Goodreader has 2 pdf rendering engines. Try going to settings and turning on the original pdf viewing engine and see if that helps.

Also, iRead PDF is a free pdf viewer from the developers of iAnnotate. Download that and see if it works.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are some scanned images that cause all apps to crash, even BOTH of GoodReader's rendering engines. Not a lot, but people who have them know they have a problem.

OP
K

Kokujin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very disappointed latest good reader update not addressed the problem, after they asked me for the file, I assumed they would do something, instead they asked me to open and close files on a Mac or something like that.

I do not own a Mac, and do not intend on opening and saving hundreds of PDFs when i purchased an app to read them for me!

GustavoStein

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kokujin,

Recently I found the Bluefire Reader application that reads well scanned PDFs. Its a free application to read ebooks in ePub, PDF and DRM PDFs. Unfortunately this application does not have annotations.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts