What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reading Books on iPads in the Evening may Disturb Sleep Patterns

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
ipad night reading harms health.jpg

This probably won't be a shocker for most of you, but researchers at the National Academy of Science published a study recently that concludes the "short-wavelength light" messes up the circadian rhythms that are responsible for sleep and suppresses the sleep-inducing hormone melatonin.

This light that's closer to the blue end of the spectrum is especially present in the display screens of eReaders and tablets, such as the iPad. So, just in case you were having doubts, bringing your iPad to bed isn't such a good idea for your health.

As a result of being exposed to tablet and eReader screens prior to going to sleep, people reported feeling less tired, and took longer to fall asleep and they also mentioned they were more tired the next day. So, what researchers advise is something that most of us know already - opt for a physical book instead. They also suggest that a non-illuminated electronic reader like the original Kindle might also work.

The study involved 12 healthy young adults:

The study of 12 adults for two weeks involved comparing reading from an iPad or a printed book before bedtime. The melatonin levels of each volunteer were monitored and their sleep patterns and morning alertness were also monitored.

The participants took nearly 10 minutes longer to fall asleep and had a significantly lower amount of dream sleep after reading from a light-emitting e-reader than they did after reading from a printed book, according to the study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science.

source: PNAS

jgsrq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read I every night with a black background and the lightest setting as possible. No trouble falling asleep at all.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
if anything I go to sleep faster and sleep longer. Could have something to do with my age?

Most reactions

Latest posts