What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re-restore IOS 6.1?

Timey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if it's possible to perform the re-restore on IOS 6.1 having the blobs saved or if it's not now if it will be, since IOS 6.1.1 is probably going to come out soon it's something that I think would be cool if it could be done. I remember having some problems when I was on IOS 5.1.1 and I couldn't perform the re-restore because I had the factory IOS. Thanks everyone in advance.

John

Inked adrenaline

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if it's possible to perform the re-restore on IOS 6.1 having the blobs saved or if it's not now if it will be, since IOS 6.1.1 is probably going to come out soon it's something that I think would be cool if it could be done. I remember having some problems when I was on IOS 5.1.1 and I couldn't perform the re-restore because I had the factory IOS. Thanks everyone in advance.

John

Still possible to restore to 6.1 now. I did it last night when I was trouble shooting a problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
T

Timey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yep I know I still can now but I was wondering for a re-restore in the future in case I have some problems. Thanks

OP
T

Timey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can? I thought that I could only go back if the current IOS was jailbreakable like from IOS 6 to IOS 5

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
Please be careful what information you give out IA, as of iOS 6 it's not possible to use blobs to go back to a non signed iOS without specific blobs saved, please read the stickies in the iPad hacking section, the one on saving blobs through tiny umbrella is very helpful, I'll find a link and post it for you below.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/59291-shsh-blobs-faq.html

And a few more

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24377-jailbreaking-methods-ipad.html

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2838-jailbreaking-explained.html

Chris
IPF Team

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And, to add to TheRamber's excellent advice - there is no re-restore for iOS 6 ... yet. Obviously, we all hope for one, but there has been nothing released.

The only re-restore that is available is for iOS 5.1.1 and, unless you have an iPad2 with specific SHSH blobs (iOS 4.x and iOS 5.1.1), there is no way for any other iPad to be downgraded to iOS 5.1.1 once you are on iOS 6.

I know, there's lots of finer points - just want to make sure everyone knows the details. Thanks.

Marilyn

Inked adrenaline

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Please be careful what information you give out IA, as of iOS 6 it's not possible to use blobs to go back to a non signed iOS without specific blobs saved, please read the stickies in the iPad hacking section, the one on saving blobs through tiny umbrella is very helpful, I'll find a link and post it for you below.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/59291-shsh-blobs-faq.html

And a few more

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24377-jailbreaking-methods-ipad.html

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2838-jailbreaking-explained.html

Chris
IPF Team

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
T

Timey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I apologize but I'm not sure I understand, in the event of IOS 6.1.1 coming out and me having to restore, will I be able to go back to IOS 6.1 with blobs saved through tiny umbrella? I thought it wasn't possible unless a jailbreak for IOS 6.1.1 comes out.

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
No timely, as of this present moment, once you move onto the current iOS, then that's where you will have to stay, and if you have to restore your iPad for any unfortunate reason, unless iOS 6.1 is still being signed, then the current apple signing is what you will have to restore too. If that is not jailbroken, your iPad will remain stock until the JB'ers work there magic on a future Jailbreak

So what you say is correct, only if 6.1.1 is jailbroken will you have the opportunity to possess a future jailbroken ipad

Last edited:
OP
T

Timey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No timely, as of this present moment, once you move onto the current iOS, then that's where you will have to stay, and if you have to restore your iPad for any unfortunate reason, unless iOS 6.1 is still being signed, then the current apple signing is what you will have to restore too. If that is not jailbroken, your iPad will remain stock until the JB'ers work there magic on a future Jailbreak

So what you say is correct, only if 6.1.1 is jailbroken will you have the opportunity to possess a future jailbroken ipad

Sorry if I sound repetitive but I'd like to understand this a little better, so basically, there's no point now in saving blobs because even if the jailbreak for 6.1.1 will come out I won't be able to downgrade, is this correct? Or I will only if 6.1.1 will be jailbreakable?Thanks a lot for help

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry if I sound repetitive but I'd like to understand this a little better, so basically, there's no point now in saving blobs because even if the jailbreak for 6.1.1 will come out I won't be able to downgrade, is this correct? Or I will only if 6.1.1 will be jailbreakable?Thanks a lot for help

We always stress that people always save SHSH blobs - mainly because we don't know what "magic" the jail break community can create.

See, using blobs to downgrade easily to another iOS was stopped by Apple with the advent of iOS 5 (and it's new method of saving/using APTickets). With iOS 5 (and newer), blobs were no longer any good (why save 'em if you can't downgrade, right?). Or - that's what we thought.

The, the ability to re-restore to iOS 5.1.1 was discovered and released. It worked by allowing you to use iOS 5.1.1 blobs to put a fresh iOS 5.1.1 on your iPad - as long as you hadn't already moved up to iOS 6.

The question then becomes: what's the big deal; who cares that you can re-restore to iOS 5.1.1? Well, without that re-restore ability, if you borked up your iPad badly enough to require a restore, the ONLY option available was to go to iOS 6 (as Apple had closed the signing window and SHSH blobs could no longer get you back to the previous iOS). In other words, if you messed up your jail break by installing a bad tweak or whatever, you HAD to move to iOS 6 in order to get your iPad working again - thus losing the jail break. The discovery/release of the re-restore made it so you didn't have to be so protective of yur jail break - we didn't have to worry that a restore would make us lose our jail break.

What I am hoping is that "they" can discover a re-restore for iOS 6.1, our newest jail breakable firmware. It's fine now, what with Apple signing iOS 6.1. But - once they stop signing (approving) this version, you'll be in the same boat as we were in back on iOS 5.1.1 - mess up the jail break and have to restore = moving off of a jail breakable firmware.

So, having blobs for iOS 5.1.1 made it so you could take advantage of the re-restore tool. Not having those blobs meant you couldn't (as well as you needed an iPad that had iTunes installed iOS 5.1.1, not one installed over-the-air or from the factory).

As i said, there is no re-restore tool for iOS 6.1.1 - yet. Doesn't mean I'm not hoping for one. So, i'm saving all the blobs I can (as soon the tools to do so are released). Even if it seems no point now, we never know what the future brings - and it's easy to do, anyway.

So, save 'em cause you just never know...

I hope this clarifies things. Do let me know if you need more pontificating... :)

Marilyn

OP
T

Timey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got it all now! Thanks a lot Marilyn, I finally understand, you're really very very kind, thanks for helping me out!

Most reactions

Latest posts