What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rant! Windows is a pain!

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Just needed to ventilate a bit... Windows is a pain!

No, it did not crashed...
No, it did not freeze...
No, I did not get a virus...

Windows just annoys me... Updating core components or .Net frameworks take for ever. And those annoying notifications that need to be clicked: there is no network, there is detected wifi, wifi is not connected, wifi is connected... Darn, each time I login my desktop. Oh and there is also the "You have unused icons on you desktop...". And I know, my firewall is not active, just shut-up about it!

This is windows xp, maybe things got better in Win7...

Ahhh, feel better now, thanks for listening ;)

VicoPad addict!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, you could get a Mac. I'm not claiming it is 100% annoyance free, but at least they would be different annoyances. ;)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Vista :)( ) and it's no better - I also get 'There's new software for Nokia PC Suite', 'There's new 'phone software available', 'There's an update for Adobe x, y and z programs', 'There's an update for Firefox, Thunderbird' - yes, it drives you crazy.

I just want to be able to say - 'Don't tell me about any of these updates, if I want them, I'll go look for them myself'.

Tim

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Drak said:
and you could turn most of those notifications off...

Huh? They can be disabled? I'll have to check that... Ubuntu is my main OS, but I keep a winxp available for iOS upgrades (until iOS 5...)

But next laptop will run OSX, Apple spoiled me :)

VicoPad addict!

Guy1717

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just needed to ventilate a bit... Windows is a Pain

This is windows xp, maybe things got better in windows 7

VicoPad addict!

i have Win7, and no, it didn't get better. Exemple : when i put Win7 to hibernate and i turn it on afterwards, the Wifi will not work 80% of the time, so i have to restart it and like this, i have many more annoyences.

Since l have my Ipad2, windows annoys me even more. Before my laptop was on everyday, now maybe once, maximum twIce a week.
A long time ago, i think it was in 1832 ;) i was dreaming of a computer that would instantly start when you needed it and was standby all the time, now i found it and for 99%, it works !

Guy

Last edited:

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The problem is checking for updates is on by default in most applications.

For windows you can adjust windows update to automatically update, to only update when you tell it etc. All versions from Windows 95 have had it on by default but it can be changed.

In Windows 7 it is as easy as typing "turn windows updates off" in the search box on the start bar.

Is this a windows hate fest? How about complaining about linux? My linux (fedora 14) PC died after doing updates - it just kernel paniced on reboot. I had to run memtest to check the memory (to eliminate one of the obvious hardware problems) before I gave in and reinstalled linux (and trying to boot using a different kernel from the grub menu did not work).

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
miket5au said:
The problem is checking for updates is on by default in most applications.

For windows you can adjust windows update to automatically update, to only update when you tell it etc. All versions from Windows 95 have had it on by default but it can be changed.

In Windows 7 it is as easy as typing "turn windows updates off" in the search box on the start bar.

Is this a windows hate fest? How about complaining about linux? My linux (fedora 14) PC died after doing updates - it just kernel paniced on reboot. I had to run memtest to check the memory (to eliminate one of the obvious hardware problems) before I gave in and reinstalled linux (and trying to boot using a different kernel from the grub menu did not work).

Your setup got badly corrupted while updating.... In the update, did you have anything related to the kernel or grub involved? That could explain why you were not able to reboot to a previous kernel. But this is not annoyance, this is pure bad luck due to a bad hardware. In Ubuntu, major annoyance is the sound volume when login in. If last time you set volume to maximum, and forgo about it, the sound login will play very loud. I must remember to disable that sound event.

Another annoyance with Windows is looking for a specific software. You have to search the Internet, no sure if that freeware is doing the job and if it is secured... In Ubuntu, you have the repositories, in iOS the AppStore, and in Macs, now the new AppStore also. But in windows, it's a guessing game, never knowing if you can thrust the source for a specific tools for what you want to do

VicoPad addict!

gwynsoft

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, no, Windows is great. Every version just gets better. I have a computer repair business and Windows computers make me loads of money. For my own stuff I use Gentoo Linux and MacOs.

:)

Hmm. I hope that doesn't count as an advert....

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
No, no, Windows is great. Every version just gets better. I have a computer repair business and Windows computers make me loads of money. For my own stuff I use Gentoo Linux and MacOs.

:)

Hmm. I hope that doesn't count as an advert....

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

See - Windows isn't all bad.

And I have to agree that Windows 7 is really no better. What's worse is that if you consciously skip an update, for whatever reason, the system reminds you EVERY SINGLE DAY! Errgghhhh.

Most reactions