What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Range of Airport Express. Novice Here! Help!

hpowders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did a search but couldn't find the answer.

I am new to Wi-Fi. Next week my wife will be bringing home a 16 GB iPad 2, Wi-Fi that she received as a gift. I will get an Apple Airport Express Base Station to accommodate it. I use an iMac as my desktop, OS 10.5.8.

My question is what's the range of the Airport Express? Must the iPad be used in the same room as the Airport Express? Can it be used a few rooms over from it?

Thanks for the help!

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Unless you have a mansion or your walls are extremely thick, then you should cover the whole house with wifi access.

OP
H

hpowders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless you have a mansion or your walls are extremely thick, then you should cover the whole house with wifi access.

Ha! Ha! No mansion. 2500 square feet. Thanks for your input. Glad to know that! :)

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Despite its name, Airport Express is simply a wifi router in an Apple-like form factor. Not the best router around but perfectly adequate for most consumer applications.

OP
H

hpowders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Despite its name, Airport Express is simply a wifi router in an Apple-like form factor. Not the best router around but perfectly adequate for most consumer applications.

Sounds good for me and pretty easy to setup in applications/utilities.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP
H

hpowders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP
H

hpowders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update: I went to the Apple store this morning and the guy talked me into buying the Airport Extreme. I have about 2200-2400 sq. ft. of useable space. He showed me the comparison put out by Apple of the Express vs the Extreme, and it looked like the Extreme would be best for my house. Looks to be as easy to set up as the Express, just bigger and more powerful. If folks come over, I won't have to worry about their signal strength fading a bit with the Extreme.

All ready for the iPad2 to make its way here Thursday. So I'll set up the Extreme on Wednesday. :)

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update: I went to the Apple store this morning and the guy talked me into buying the Airport Extreme. I have about 2200-2400 sq. ft. of useable space. He showed me the comparison put out by Apple of the Express vs the Extreme, and it looked like the Extreme would be best for my house. Looks to be as easy to set up as the Express, just bigger and more powerful. If folks come over, I won't have to worry about their signal strength fading a bit with the Extreme.

All ready for the iPad2 to make its way here Thursday. So I'll set up the Extreme on Wednesday. :)
Good choice. Our Airport Extreme has been flawless for a couple of years now and has very good coverage all over our two-story house, both inside and out. Enjoy!

Most reactions