What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radioshack Condition Madness

einhander

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, I work in the Bronx. Decided to try the local radio shack, because my ipad 2 from apple.com is still not shipped (supposedly shipping April 11th.)

I call ahead and they have a 16 GB WiFi! Great. I walk into the store. It's still there. The following conversation ensues:

Me: "I'll take it."

Radioshack Rep: "You know how much it is right?"

Me: "...499?"

Radioshack Rep: (shakes head) "670 with tax."

Me: "Whoa whoa... is this the 3G?"

Radioshack Rep: "No, it's the 16GB Wi Fi with the case and the applecare."

Me: "I just want the Ipad."

Radioshack Rep: "I can't sell it to you without the insurance and the case."

Me: "... I don't understand."

Radioshack Rep: "My manager won't let me sell it without you also buying the case and the applecare."

Me: "...."

So, I left, ipad-less. Maybe I want a case, and maybe I want the applecare, but not without choosing to do so. Has this happened to anyone else?

-Ein

Fletchi18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds just like the junk retailers used to pull when the Wii or XBox came out...they wouldn't sell without the bundles. Kind of stinks...

Sorry you left empty handed!

Sourpuss Magee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Radio Shack is also not selling it in every store. In Mass, they are only in about 8 stores, mostly around Boston, one in Worcester, Gloucester and Great Barrington.

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do not know about USA but that is illegal in Australia ACCC would not allow it the item is advertised at 499 plus tax. They can offer extended warranty and carry bag as an option but that is all

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think they announced this news LATE yesterday that they were selling it 'bundled' with those things, so it's not exactly 'illegal'..

but who knows.. we'll see if someone fights it in court..

josun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow. That's a ballsy move by Radioshack. I know companies like to make profits but that's one step above. What a way to drive off customers.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They can offer a bundle sure it will do them more harm than good We offer bundles on computers but usually they are at recommended retail price as companies offer so called scan back in other words the price is $499 the rest is no charge but the manufacture pays like Sony with playstation and say free games or extra warranty

Last edited:
OP
E

einhander

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Assassin- Much more productive than a lawsuit would be the good old fashioned "just don't shop there anymore," but I pretty much did that before I walked in; this is just a reminder to never go to radioshack if you can help it.

@Twisim- She probably meant 670 tax included, which if the case is 40 and the Applecare is 80, is about right with NYC sales tax (%8.46). And by "right" I mean the math is right, not that it's justified or a good thing.

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One would think Apple would frown on this practice. My guess is; Radio Shack won't be selling the iPad3 :p

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow. That's a ballsy move by Radioshack. I know companies like to make profits but that's one step above. What a way to drive off customers.

If customers weren't driven off by the iPhone 4 fiasco Radio Shack had going on, then they definitely won't be driven off by this..

the iPhone 4 fiasco was much worse.. they were taking names, allegedly, and had people waiting for as much as a MONTH on the iPhone 4's.. Many people just said to hell with RadioShack..

I definitely try to buy ALL of my Apple Products from the Apple Store.. :D

In any event, the only thing I would ever use RadioShack for is if I had some need for last minute coaxial cable or a connector of some sort.. and it would have to be REALLY last minute, because I'd probably just order it from Amazon or NewEgg for 88.4% cheaper..

they tried to RAPE me for a Optical Digital Cable for my AppleTV just last week.. I went into the store looking, and the cable they had was $19.99 for a 6ft cable... Same cable was $3.29 with free shipping on Amazon.. :eek:

I guess you know where I got it, right?

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's another good thing about the iPhone and iPad... because the idiot in the store tried to tell me I wouldn't find that cable for cheaper anywhere around there (Best Buy, HH Gregg, etc.).. and I told him he's right, I probably wouldn't find it cheaper AROUND HERE.... but there's always the internet..

so I continued to browse around the store... pulled up Amazon on my iPhone, put in the exact brand cable (non Radio Shack version), and voila.. put it in my cart and had it ordered in under a minute... on my way out, I walked past the counter and showed him the order for $3.29 SHIPPED..

the idiot says... 'but you have to wait on that one!'...

REALLY!! So you're charging me $17 EXTRA dollars for 'convenience'... BITE ME JERK!

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
***** They are called the source now in Canada.
Over priced crap. They wanted $20 for a box of 5 Floppy discs last year! :confused:
I got them at the dollar store for $2

Last edited by a moderator:

kofjay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
These seller sux, they always want you to buy the bundle that's useless. I have one on hand and i am thinking to return it to apple this week. New 16gb white.

Most reactions

Latest posts