What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quitting programs on ipad 3

packard10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to quit programs on iPad 3? I'm finding that even when I click the home button at the back, programs are still running. Specifically I'm talking about games like the sims and stuff. I've searched for a quit button on the main screen and there's none. Also searched under settings. I know with android there is but is there not with iPad? I feel like its silly to have those programs running and using up battery life. Also, I'm a teacher and I use this in the classrooms an I don't want the notifications always popping up and taking away from my kids learning.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
packard10 said:
Is there a way to quit programs on iPad 3? I'm finding that even when I click the home button at the back, programs are still running. Specifically I'm talking about games like the sims and stuff. I've searched for a quit button on the main screen and there's none. Also searched under settings. I know with android there is but is there not with iPad? I feel like its silly to have those programs running and using up battery life. Also, I'm a teacher and I use this in the classrooms an I don't want the notifications always popping up and taking away from my kids learning.

Double tap the home button.

Behold the background apps task bar.

Long tap any icon until it wobbles and exhibits a red minus sign, release

Now tap every red minus sign to remove program from RAM.

Tap home button to escape

Note:

Notifications are independent of the active task bar and will push notifications regardless if so configured.

Last edited:

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's a very good explanatory video of how iOS handles multitasking, backgrounding and termination of apps by Fraser Speirs:-

[video=vimeo;34660348]http://vimeo.com/34660348[/video]

well worth a look. Bottom line is that few apps actually 'run' in the background - most (e.g. games) are suspended when the home button is pressed i.e. they are held in memory (RAM) so they can be resumed, but are not actively using any CPU power. If memory becomes tight, then these suspended apps are terminated to free up space for apps that are running. Manually quitting apps in the process described above can be helpful in troubleshooting, but isn't strictly necessary. Not that it does any harm either, I guess.. ;)

HTH Pete

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
Double tap the home button.

Behold the background apps task bar.

Long tap any icon until it wobbles and exhibits a red minus sign, release

Now tap every red minus sign to remove program from RAM.

Tap home button to escape

Note:

Notifications are independent of the active task bar and will push notifications regardless if so configured.

And of course you can use a four finger upward swipe instead of double tapping the home button with a four finger downward swipe to close the task bar again.

The Archangel

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
petermillard said:
There's a very good explanatory video of how iOS handles multitasking, backgrounding and termination of apps by Fraser Speirs:-

Video Link: http://vimeo.com/34660348

well worth a look. Bottom line is that few apps actually 'run' in the background - most (e.g. games) are suspended when the home button is pressed i.e. they are held in memory (RAM) so they can be resumed, but are not actively using any CPU power. If memory becomes tight, then these suspended apps are terminated to free up space for apps that are running. Manually quitting apps in the process described above can be helpful in troubleshooting, but isn't strictly necessary. Not that it does any harm either, I guess.. ;)

HTH Pete

I am so with you on this. However I have seen many owners complaining of performance loss or random crashes back to the desktop on numerous apps benefit from clearing the backgrounds apps and restarting. Microsoft white papers make multi-tasking, and their entire OS for that matter, sound solid as a rock.....is it? I would not expect Apple to be any different documenting theirs.

I do not disagree with the Apple description of background apps however suspended apps (suspended being a relative term in tis case) use system resources to manage this overhead and optimize RAM.

I understand why some believe this recommendation to be a placebo of sorts but I've seen the process prove beneficial.

Most reactions

Latest posts