What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quickoffice pro hd or documents to go premium or others

kristent1226

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really want word and excel on my iPad for college this year. I don't need anything crazy, just the basics and easy to use. Has anyone used either of these apps and can say any pros or cons about it. I have been reading a lot and found people liked quick office and documents to go the best, ut which is better and are there any even better for the buy in the app store?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been using Documents To Go for years on various devices. As long as you don't get too complicated with Excel spreadsheets, it works very well. Keep in mind, however, that you can edit existing Microsoft documents but you cannot create new ones on the iPad.

I don't recall the spot on this forum (I suspect someone else will chime in if you can't find it through a search) but another poster did an excellent comprehensive and thorough comparison of Docs2Go, QuickOffice, and the relevant Apple products.

OP
K

kristent1226

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
Been using Documents To Go for years on various devices. As long as you don't get too complicated with Excel spreadsheets, it works very well. Keep in mind, however, that you can edit existing Microsoft documents but you cannot create new ones on the iPad.

I don't recall the spot on this forum (I suspect someone else will chime in if you can't find it through a search) but another poster did an excellent comprehensive and thorough comparison of Docs2Go, QuickOffice, and the relevant Apple products.

Do you know if you can create new documents with quickoffice or any other apps?

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
kristent1226 said:

I use all the Apple apps(Numbers, Pages, Keynote) and they suit me just fine. Create, import/export, combine work sheets. Dont know how the other apps interface is but the ones I use are fairly simple.

Sent from my iPad 2 White 64GB + 3G Verizon using iPF

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
IMO, office2HD

I just downloaded it to give it a try and seems to me Numbers is alot easier to use. Less steps to create a formula. Maybe it cause I am used to Numbers. It seems Office 2 HD is more suited for a desktop/laptop user rather then a tablet user.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:

Sorry. I may well have been incorrect in my initial statement about the inability to create new documents on the iPad with Documents To Go. I haven't added the iPad version but the documentation/hype on the app page suggests you can.

Someone who actually uses the app on the iPad will hopefully clarify.

Again, my apologies if my original comment was incorrect.

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thread had been moved to the iPad apps area, we understand that it will get better attention in that area.

iFrog - Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
sjleworthy said:
IMO, office2HD

I just downloaded it to give it a try and seems to me Numbers is alot easier to use. Less steps to create a formula. Maybe it cause I am used to Numbers. It seems Office 2 HD is more suited for a desktop/laptop user rather then a tablet user.

Could be. I'm used to desk top ms office rather than tablet office s/w.
I would, however, lover to give Numbers a try. I just can't justify the cost and hassle trying it out when Office 2 currently serves all my needs and is instantly compatible with open my desk top services.

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
kristent1226 said:
I really want word and excel on my iPad for college this year. I don't need anything crazy, just the basics and easy to use. Has anyone used either of these apps and can say any pros or cons about it. I have been reading a lot and found people liked quick office and documents to go the best, ut which is better and are there any even better for the buy in the app store?

I now have tried Quick Office Pro, Office 2 HD, Numbers, Keynkte, Pages. And IMHO Keynote, Pages, Numbers are by far the easiest to use.

hidef2010

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just posted this on another thread that I realised may be an incorrect thread. Moderators please feel free to erase the other post.
I just wanted to say what a great site this is.... and how helpful it has been. I have been reading this site for some time and finally decided to join! :)
So, to the topic at hand.....

I did some searches but came up empty..... I have just recently downloaded Quick Office Pro for my iPad2 and I noticed that the merged cells on a very basic spreadsheet do not appear as merged when I open the document in QOP. Let me explain, cell B1 to F1 are merged and they contain an address [123 Main Street, Toronto, Canada] if I want to edit this in QOP I have to select cells C1, D1 etc...where I should just be able to go to cell B1 and edit all of the address.

I also have Documents to go and the same spread sheet appears with all merged / single cells as I originally created them on my home computer.

So, does anyone know if I am doing something wrong in QOP, or perhaps overlooking a "merge" function for cells somewhere. Or does QOP not recognize merged cells?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks again in advance

hidef2010

Vichon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I now have tried Quick Office Pro, Office 2 HD, Numbers, Keynkte, Pages. And IMHO Keynote, Pages, Numbers are by far the easiest to use.

Just an observation as I have all 3 as well - (ok, so I'm an app junkie and still look for perfection) - You need to take ALL reviews with a grain of salt!

1. The iWork suite is easiest to use provided you have a non-Microsoft leaning - they follow the Apple thoughts closely and are indeed easy to use if you are familiar - if you are from a heavy PC/Office background, it may take thinking outside the box to figure them out.

2. NO PRODUCT can do everything the desktop apps do yet (maybe never?). Some things just don't work - don't show up or work different (call it 70-80% compatible) - just accept it and they are all good.

3. Plan for heavy formatting to take the biggest hit, then special add-ons like Tables, embedded graphics, etc.

4. Plan to try a couple of different input formats - they seem to do better/worse depending on the input version (i.e. Word 2003 vs. 2007) - no idea why, just accept it and zero in on the version that works for your stuff.

Vichon

tyreless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Docs to Go Pro on an ipad2. You can create new MS documents (word, excel, and powerpoint). I use it mostly for editing word documents. I like it because it keeps the original formatting. I also like the speed of transferring documents to the pc wirelessly (much faster than emailing or dropboxing). I don't like that you can't insert pictures into documents.

I first tried Office2hd but it corrupted my ms word documents - maybe I was just unlucky because I haven't read of this happening to anyone else.

Cheers,

Geoff

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Vichon said:
Just an observation as I have all 3 as well - (ok, so I'm an app junkie and still look for perfection) - You need to take ALL reviews with a grain of salt!

1. The iWork suite is easiest to use provided you have a non-Microsoft leaning - they follow the Apple thoughts closely and are indeed easy to use if you are familiar - if you are from a heavy PC/Office background, it may take thinking outside the box to figure them out.

+++iWork is real simple to use. I have both Microsoft and Apple learning. Ive been using Apple for about 3 years now. But what I like about it is the simplicity of creating formulas in Numbers.++++

2. NO PRODUCT can do everything the desktop apps do yet (maybe never?). Some things just don't work - don't show up or work different (call it 70-80% compatible) - just accept it and they are all good.

+++Agree.+++

3. Plan for heavy formatting to take the biggest hit, then special add-ons like Tables, embedded graphics, etc.

+++True+++

4. Plan to try a couple of different input formats - they seem to do better/worse depending on the input version (i.e. Word 2003 vs. 2007) - no idea why, just accept it and zero in on the version that works for your stuff.

Vichon

I put +++ for my response.

Most reactions

Latest posts