What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quickoffice formula help!

AyePad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi borryman,
Thanks for your suggestion.

If I multiply the previous cell by the next cell (which is empty) I do get a zero which solves the problem with negative numbers but as soon as I input my new value into the next empty cell it multiplies it with the previous cell and doesn't give me the answer I am looking for.

I want to subtract the previous cell from the newly input cell and show the difference in the next column. Then I want to total the "difference" column.

I can't see how multiplying can work in this situation.

Thanks

AyePad

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You should use an IFELSE statements. I don't use QuickOffice, so I can't offer specific instuctions; but it should go something like this.

IFELSE (x-y < 0) then y-x, else x-y

It tests to set if your result (x-y) is negative (less than zero). If it is, then it reverses the equation (y-x) so that you get a positive difference. If it is not less than zero you get the result of x-y, which will be positive or zero.

AyePad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi twerppoet,

QuickOffice seems to have a preset list of Functions. I can't find "IFELSE" on the list but "IF" is so if I drop the "ELSE" and use your statement it works fine. I've tried manually typing in various statements but they always result in a "Function Not Recognised" message appearing. If it's not on their list it just won't work.

Thanks for your help.

AyePad

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I must have been operating off of my often faulty memory. Number doesn't have an IFELSE statement either. It just has the IF statement which includes an optional else clause. Sorry for the confusion. Other than that the explanation of how to use it is the same.

By the way, the Numbers expression does not look like that either. The example I used was meant to be readable, not usable. The Numbers example would look more like this.

NumberIFexample.jpg

You can't just type in formulas in iOS Numbers, so a text representation can be misleading. Always read and use the example formats in the app you are using.

Again, I did not mean to confuse the issue, the opposite actually. :eek:

Most reactions