What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

quick question for iPad 1 and it's future. :)

no1up

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was looking in to getting a cheap tablet like the kindle fire for reading, and such. Well one thing leads to another does it not? I can, for about $30 more dollars, $230.00 get an iPad 1. However I was wondering how well this unit still functioned. I mean it has been years since I owned one and I am sure iOS 5.1 is much different. Should I invest in to the iPad 2? I mean I am just going to use it for simple reading, browsing, maybe some Documents with Pages, and simple games. I can play 3d games on my xbox or macbook, however I do use pages and numbers a lot, I remember pages ran ok on the iPad 1 when I had one (first year it was out) I don't know how it would run now. So I guess what I want to know is.

Does the unit run smooth, or is it jerky?
does it run rainbow 6?
How is the browser, is it smooth, or do you still see the check board a lot?
not knowing the new and more complex apps, Should I just buy the iPad 2?

Thanks fellas, and ladies
smile.gif
(in advanced)

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If existing ipad1 hardware limitations ate not an obstacle for you then ipad1 will do fine.

I rehomed mine to my son when I obtained the new iPad. He is very satisfied with it and knows its limitations.

As an email and browsing device exclusively it more than fits the bill.

As time passes you may find its inability to run newer apps may prompt you to upgrade but ipad1 is a great entry point tablet considering they are now heavily discounted on the used market.

OP
N

no1up

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes sir, $209+ tax for a 16gb 3g tablet not a bad deal at all.. :) But I would be more than willing to pay the difference if some one can tell me (FOR SURE) that the iPad one simply can not run 5.1 at a satisfactory level. I NEED pages to work, like it worked back on 3.0 :)

jaymarvin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I write and use Pages all the time. It's a great program. I've churned out a lot of work on it.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
no1up said:
yes sir, $209+ tax for a 16gb 3g tablet not a bad deal at all.. :) But I would be more than willing to pay the difference if some one can tell me (FOR SURE) that the iPad one simply can not run 5.1 at a satisfactory level. I NEED pages to work, like it worked back on 3.0 :)

Hello, no1up, welcome (back ??) to the forum. I have the original iPad, since the very beginning. I use Pages and have the latest version of iOS 5.1. I can tell you FOR SURE it works. In fact, the new iOS version has improved this iPad's processing ability.

OP
N

no1up

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i wish some now would a youtube video up! lol I can't find any with the iPad 1...
have i been here before?? lol

carbrad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still have my ipad1 since first week of release. At 5.0.1 now but am getting ready to go 5.1. Just checking out my favorite forum to see if there are known problems with update to 5.1. Can tell you browsing is fine on the 1. No more checkerboard and now have tabs and reader and other great features in the new Safari. Email still works great. Not a pages user but know that keyboard can be laggy at times if you dont keep the memory free in closing down opened apps. Still a great screen for videos but if a 2 is not much more would go that route for the faster processor and more RAM and facetime is too cool not to have on your ipad. Want a 3 but cant bear taking so little for a 32gb IPAD1 without a single scratch or nick on it. Good luck w your search

OP
N

no1up

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I couldn't help it, I bought it 3... the resolution was like a kiss to my eyes! lol

I had an iPad 1 in the long long ago, I sold it and have been bouncing around android tablets for some time. I forgot how amazing it was. While I'm still a hardcore android phone user, (don't like small dim screens and no miniSD) I have to say the iPad truly is the king of the tablet hill, and it's utterly amazing how the iPad one still is not outdated. Android tablets that came out a few months ago now seem old and slow. I was going to buy the transformer prime until the GPS thing came up. I don't understand why they keep throwing android tablets out knowing they are no where near the quality of the iPad and charge the same or more?!

simply said, Loving the iPad 3...

SouthernDad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still using the iPad 1st Gen 64 GB WiFi plus 3G. I'm waiting until September to get an iPad 3 then I'll pass this one on to my daughter this one for her 10th birthday. After putting it in an Otterbox, of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

iPhoNettie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SouthernDad said:
I'm still using the iPad 1st Gen 64 GB WiFi plus 3G. I'm waiting until September to get an iPad 3 then I'll pass this one on to my daughter this one for her 10th birthday. After putting it in an Otterbox, of course.

I just bought a first generation iPad, 32 gb, wifi only for my son for his birthday. It's refurbed from Apple, comes with a one year warranty and we'll probably get the Apple care to add a second year of coverage. My son is 21 years old, special needs and is over the moon with his new iPad. Up until now, he's only had an iTouch. This is a great upgrade for him. It's still a great device and having the warranty coverage is icing on the cake. I, too wrapped an Otterbox defender and screen protector around it before he could even touch it. Lol

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPhoNettie said:
I just bought a first generation iPad, 32 gb, wifi only for my son for his birthday. It's refurbed from Apple, comes with a one year warranty and we'll probably get the Apple care to add a second year of coverage. My son is 21 years old, special needs and is over the moon with his new iPad. Up until now, he's only had an iTouch. This is a great upgrade for him. It's still a great device and having the warranty coverage is icing on the cake. I, too wrapped an Otterbox defender and screen protector around it before he could even touch it. Lol

Sent from my iPad using iPF

I continue to enjoy reading stories like yours.

When revolutionary was deemed the word to best market the iPad I wonder if they truly new the impact the device would have for special needs individuals.

It is not an empty boast to say the iPad has dramatically improved the lives of thousands. Granted most are the result of highly creative and imaginative developers but without the platform the iPad provides it wouldn't have happened with such speed and effectiveness.

SouthernDad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At this time I am still using the iPad 1st Generation. I use Pages and Numbers extensively. I have no issues with their functionality.

Most reactions