What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick office

frederick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys I have just signed up.
I have a problem in that I don't know how to copy a document ( attachment) to an email. Sounds simple I know but I can't seem to work it out?
I don't want to send the email from quick office, only from my email client, outlook.
Thanks?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys I have just signed up.
I have a problem in that I don't know how to copy a document ( attachment) to an email. Sounds simple I know but I can't seem to work it out?
I don't want to send the email from quick office, only from my email client, outlook.
Thanks?

Unfortunately, you are going to have to send the e-mail from your Quick Office app (or any app, for that matter).

Apple has developed a "sandbox" iOS, in that no app can truly access another. So, the Mail app cannot go to your Quick Office app and grab a document for e-mailing. Actually, it can't go to any app to get something for mailing.

What you have to do is be in the app from which you wish to mail something. In that app is [usually] a button/icon/way to e-mail a file. This will bring up your e-mail as a pop-up, into which you can put your information (TO, subject, message, etc.). It will have the file you're e-mailing as an attachment. Once you've filled in the info, then you can send off the e-mail.

For multiple or different file types across multiple apps, I understand that you can use the app Goodreader ($4.99, USD) to bring all the files into it. From there, you can use the same "mail to" function to get the pop-up and create/send your e-mail. I've not used Goodreader that way, but I understand others here at this forum have.

Ultimately, it's the decision Apple made to protect the iOS from malicious code. It's a bit inconvenient to have to think opposite of using a more mainstream computer - but it's what we got.

Hope this helps and explains.

Marilyn

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
Mickey330 said:
Unfortunately, you are going to have to send the e-mail from your Quick Office app (or any app, for that matter).

What you have to do is be in the app from which you wish to mail something. In that app is [usually] a button/icon/way to e-mail a file. This will bring up your e-mail as a pop-up, into which you can put your information (TO, subject, message, etc.). It will have the file you're e-mailing as an attachment. Once you've filled in the info, then you can send off the e-mail.

Marilyn

hi Marily, thanks for that explanation.
Anyhow, other apps bring up the native mail app - so does not Quickoffice (or at least it does different)...
Right now I am for example in Chine and the native mail app works fine, but Quickoffice can't send files as it cannot connect to the server...

Somebody else any idea?

OP
F

frederick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:

Apple has developed a "sandbox" iOS, in that no app can truly access another. So, the Mail app cannot go to your Quick Office app and grab a document for e-mailing. Actually, it can't go to any app to get something for mailing.

For multiple or different file types across multiple apps, I understand that you can use the app Goodreader ($4.99, USD) to bring all the files into it. From there, you can use the same "mail to" function to get the pop-up and create/send your e-mail. I've not used Goodreader that way, but I understand others here at this forum have.

Ultimately, it's the decision Apple made to protect the iOS from malicious code. It's a bit inconvenient to have to think opposite of using a more mainstream computer - but it's what we got.

Hope this helps and explains.

Marilyn

Thanks for the detailed reply. After posting I went on to another forum and received a similar answer.
I have sent some emails from Quick Office but when the receiver gets them it says that they are from quick office and not from my email address. If I use this method in future I will have to email them first to let them know that a Quick Office email is coming!
As I have both Dropbox and Evernote apps on my iPad I also have them inside Quick Office, which enables me to drag and drop various files as I require them. I have since found that using Evernote is more user friendly as I can drag and drop a file to Evernote and create an email in the app like you describe and the only thing that I have to remember to do is C-C myself, as I do with all other emails, as this way I know that a) they have been sent and b) once I get them I know the recipient does as well.
Thanks again from a still learning novice

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
frederick said:
Thanks for the detailed reply. After posting I went on to another forum and received a similar answer.
I have sent some emails from Quick Office but when the receiver gets them it says that they are from quick office and not from my email address. If I use this method in future I will have to email them first to let them know that a Quick Office email is coming!
As I have both Dropbox and Evernote apps on my iPad I also have them inside Quick Office, which enables me to drag and drop various files as I require them. I have since found that using Evernote is more user friendly as I can drag and drop a file to Evernote and create an email in the app like you describe and the only thing that I have to remember to do is C-C myself, as I do with all other emails, as this way I know that a) they have been sent and b) once I get them I know the recipient does as well.
Thanks again from a still learning novice

I had the same issue......I didn't realise that when it sends it says it is from Quick Office until I was told that I hadn't submitted a report......the recipient had ignored it assuming it to be spam!

My workaround is to email it to myself then forward it so that it shows as coming from me, not ideal but it works.

The Archangel

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just checked, if you mail to yourself and touch and hold on the attachment you can save the files to Dropbox (by using the open in function), from here you have better control over the file.

The Archangel

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, frederick.

I did not know that [some of ... all?] the apps have a "sent from" as a return e-mail. I've seen where you get a sent from in the body of the e-mail, which I delete before sending, but I did not know that it makes it so the recipient doesn't know it was from you.

Learn something new about this thing every day. Thanks again for reporting back.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts