What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick newbie question....

Mav777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My official, "dumb question of the day", I've been using my iPhone 3G for a while, puchased my iPad 2 a couple of days ago, I'm just setting it up, do I set up as a new device or restore from my iPhone???

I'm thinking that if I restore from iPhone I my email and contacts will transfer, is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My official, "dumb question of the day", I've been using my iPhone 3G for a while, puchased my iPad 2 a couple of days ago, I'm just setting it up, do I set up as a new device or restore from my iPhone???

I'm thinking that if I restore from iPhone I my email and contacts will transfer, is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

I guess you have synched your iPhone with iTunes on your PC. If you now sync your iPad with iTunes and have all the appropriate boxes ticked to migrate, say, contacts etc then those will be transferred to your iPad.

What I am unclear about is that you say that you've had your iPad for a couple of days already, so you must have connected it to your PC initially - there's no way around this - so what happened then? Didn't it transfer your contacts etc at that point in time?

Tim
Scotland

OP
M

Mav777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I waited a couple if days before I opened the box, wanted to make sure I had the right one for me, got a case, screen protector, etc. So today I opened the box, connected to iTunes, then made the mistake of choosing backup of my iPhone instead of setting up as a new device. It acted as though it was syncing but quickly said it could not do this, or something like that, and then iPad booted up

It was a newbie mistake, it's up and running fine, but just question if I missed something not setting it up as a new device other than giving it a name?

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I waited a couple if days before I opened the box, wanted to make sure I had the right one for me, got a case, screen protector, etc. So today I opened the box, connected to iTunes, then made the mistake of choosing backup of my iPhone instead of setting up as a new device.

It was a newbie mistake, it's up and running fine, but just question if I missed something not setting it up as a new device?

Wow - that is some will power. I've seen people coming out of the Apple Store and tearing open the box as they leave....

I think you've probably got it setup as you want - with your iPhone contacts and email accounts copied to your iPad. You can always change this later if it's not what you want.

I hope you enjoy your iPad. Keep in touch and let us know your experiences and thoughts.

Have fun.

Tim
Scotland

OP
M

Mav777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim & the waiting was a pain for me but even worse on my wife, I like to have my ducks in a row, but obviously didn't think about it before I tried to restore from my iPhone in hopes to shortcut a few steps. Did I miss anything by not setting up as s new device besides giving her a name?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim & the waiting was a pain for me but even worse on my wife, I like to have my ducks in a row, but obviously didn't think about it before I tried to restore from my iPhone in hopes to shortcut a few steps. Did I miss anything by not setting up as s new device besides giving her a name?

No - you missed nothing. If you set up an iPad as a New Device, it simply erases any personal information on that device - perhaps because you want to give it to another family member. So that wasn't relevant in your case. If you'd set it up as a new device, none of your contacts would have transferred. You can read the official Apple recommendation on this here...

How to set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch as a new device

Tim

OP
M

Mav777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll stop sweating it and just enjoy my new toy, thanks again.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can change the name of your iPad when you sync with iTunes but not on the iPad itself. If you're new to this, be careful when you sync. It's easy to make a mistake. One of our Forum members has the tag line

Think before you sync or you may sink

Sync'ing literally forces both the iPad and PC to have the same information - so if you delete something from the PC, next time you sync it will be deleted from the iPad. So, sit back, relax and enjoy the iPad. If you have any troubles, worries or concerns just come back and ask. We all love the iPad here and are always wanting to exchange ideas and help each other.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts