What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

quick graphics/mem performance Q

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
will older apps/games like 'i love katamari', some of the 'x-plane' series, some office style apps, etc etc, stuff that hasn't yet had the ipad make over, automatically run uber smooth on the new ipad 2? or would it have had to have been optimised correctly in the first place?

i know the size will not be HD and be smaller on a lot of older apps, but do you think they'll all now run as smooth as you'd originally hoped for?

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
will older apps/games like 'i love katamari', some of the 'x-plane' series, some office style apps, etc etc, stuff that hasn't yet had the ipad make over, automatically run uber smooth on the new ipad 2? or would it have had to have been optimised correctly in the first place?

i know the size will not be HD and be smaller on a lot of older apps, but do you think they'll all now run as smooth as you'd originally hoped for?

It's a difficult - aka technical - question.

Technical...

The iPad2 processor - the A5 - contains the SGX543 graphics processor unit (GPU) which is OpenCL compliant

- see

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCL

Apps which take advantage of this new architecture and are optimised to run on it - taking advantage of an application's ability to access the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) for non-graphical computing - should show significant benefits. Non-optimised apps won't benefit as much....

Tim
Scotland

PS - I can bore you with more technical details if you want...

Most reactions

Latest posts