What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about site security risk

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I heard that its possible to use it without the use of SMS, using an authenticator app. Does anyone here know a good authenticator app for an iPad? I'm probably gonna need a backup solution if I lose my phone.

Thank you for the help guys.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I heard that its possible to use it without the use of SMS, using an authenticator app. Does anyone here know a good authenticator app for an iPad? I'm probably gonna need a backup solution if I lose my phone.

Thank you for the help guys.
Given the importance of an online account, I wouldn't trust an authentication app from anyone other than the entity that provides the account service. In other words, when dealing with my Apple ID, I wouldn't trust an authentication app from anyone other than Apple.

When you set up two-step authentication with your Apple ID, you're given an iCloud security code that you can use to access your account in the event that your primary iOS device is lost or stolen. Just be careful where you enter that security code, I wouldn't enter it into a public computer that could be logging keystrokes, for example.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Given the importance of an online account, I wouldn't trust an authentication app from anyone other than the entity that provides the account service. In other words, when dealing with my Apple ID, I wouldn't trust an authentication app from anyone other than Apple.

When you set up two-step authentication with your Apple ID, you're given an iCloud security code that you can use to access your account in the event that your primary iOS device is lost or stolen. Just be careful where you enter that security code, I wouldn't enter it into a public computer that could be logging keystrokes, for example.

I'm using google authenticator, not yet added accounts to it. Is it safe?

Last question, if I have a good password or use password managers like 1Password, is it absolutely necessary to use two step login?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's certainly not going to hurt and anything you can do to increase the security of your device is a good thing.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm using google authenticator, not yet added accounts to it. Is it safe?

Last question, if I have a good password or use password managers like 1Password, is it absolutely necessary to use two step login?
I'm not the best person to ask about authentication apps, I don't use them so I cannot offer any advice on their effectiveness.

I would highly recommend two-step authentication if it's available, it adds security to your account and that is always beneficial.

Without two-step authentication, if someone gets hold of your password they can get into you account and change the password, which would effectively lock you out.

With two-step authentication, they may be able to get in if they get hold of your password, but they cannot make any changes without that extra authentication step.

In the case of your Apple ID, unauthorized persons can't even get into the account without that second authentication step, so your username and password would be useless to them.

Last edited:
OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not the best person to ask about authentication apps, I don't use them so I cannot offer any advice on their effectiveness.

I would highly recommend two-step authentication if it's available, it adds security to your account and that is always beneficial. Without two-step authentication, if someone gets hold of your password they can get into you account and change the password, which would effectively lock you out. With two-step authentication, they may be able to get in if they get hold of your password, but they cannot make any changes without that extra authentication step.

It kinda freakes me out though. But I may turn it on once I've done my research on how an account supports it. Anyways, thanks guys for your help.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It kinda freakes me out though. But I may turn it on once I've done my research on how an account supports it. Anyways, thanks guys for your help.
Research is always good.. knowledge will always be the most powerful tool mankind can possess. And, you can always ask questions here, there are some great folks here.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Research is always good.. knowledge will always be the most powerful tool mankind can possess. And, you can always ask questions here, there are some great folks here.

Last last question. Considering that you already use a two step login, would you still use a password manager?

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Last last question. Considering that you already use a two step login, would you still use a password manager?
I do use a password manager, pwSafe, but password managers have little to do with two-step authentication.

A password manager serves to hold the dozens of username/password pairs that are required for today's Internet. Apple ID, Facebook, Twitter, iPad forums, cooking forums, etc.. there are so many that my old brain isn't able to memorize them all. So, I enter them all into a password manager that encrypts them and stores them until I need them. This requires that I only need memorize one master password to open the password manager so I can manage the rest of my passwords - this is why cross-platform is such a desired feature. The password database is encrypted, so it would be useless if someone were to have physical access to your computer.

Most reactions