What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions About On-Line Banking

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd like to know everyone's opinion about on-line banking. How safe is it to do on the iPad 2? Why do I hear many people recommend that on-line banking should not be done on the iPad?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's as safe as doing your banking on your PC unless you're using public wi-fi, in which case you have no control of security or who has access to your data.

I do banking and manage investments on iPad; have since iPad 1's 3G debut. I never use public wi-fi (such as at hotels, cafes, airports). The only wi-fi I use is at home or at the homes of family members I trust (and who have secured their wi-fi). I also avoid work wi-fi, because employers have viewing rights if you use their services. Not that they have time and resources to look at everything, but I'd rather not risk it.

Of course, use bank apps that have security features. Your bank's app description should mention such. Surprisingly, even a big international bank like HSBC doesn't have an app, at least not that I've found.

Last edited:
OP
Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
It's as safe as doing your banking on your PC unless you're using public wi-fi, in which case you have no control of security or who has access to your data.

I do banking and manage investments on iPad; have since iPad 1's 3G debut. I never use public wi-fi (such as at hotels, cafes, airports). The only wi-fi I use is at home or at the homes of family members I trust (and who have secured their wi-fi). I also avoid work wi-fi, because employers have viewing rights if you use their services. Not that they have time and resources to look at everything, but I'd rather not risk it.

Of course, use bank apps that have security features. Your bank's app description should mention such. Surprisingly, even a big international bank like HSBC doesn't have an app, at least not that I've found.

Thanks for your help.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use my iPad for on-line banking all the time but only on my home wifi. Too risky anywhere else!

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

Dr Umfufu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also use my iPad for online banking and have done so for ages... As others have said just use your 3G or personal WiFi and you should be fine. Just as safe as if you were using your laptop......

Most reactions