What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question re Pages app

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you already set up your format in Pages to what you want to print? I am assuming that you have a wireless printer already set up, yes or no?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, first you would need an envelope template; none of which come with the iOS version of Pages. It is possible to import templates from the OS X version, and they usually work quite well.

If you don't have a Mac with Pages, let me know what sizes you need and I will see what I can do. I already have a shared folder for several page templates. It shouldn't be hard to add a couple more.

Hold in mind these will only be basic page dimension templates. I'm not going to test the legality of sharing the included (fancy) templates from OS X's version.

Or, there are several iWorks template sharing sites. You can try downloading and importing a few of those to see how they work. I don't have a link handy, but a Google search should turn up one or two.

Twilio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.twilioapplications.com
i think it will helps you to print one envelope using your template, drag in a contact from your Address Book and watch the merge fields populate themselves. For a group, select Edit > Mail Merge.

Sonia ferdous

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Print envelopes on a Mac OS X computer using Pages, an application included with Apple's iWork suite of productivity applications. Pages includes 17 templates for envelopes ranging from basic text to stationery styles.

OP
Grandma Barbara

Grandma Barbara

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Well, first you would need an envelope template; none of which come with the iOS version of Pages. It is possible to import templates from the OS X version, and they usually work quite well.

If you don't have a Mac with Pages, let me know what sizes you need and I will see what I can do. I already have a shared folder for several page templates. It shouldn't be hard to add a couple more.

Hold in mind these will only be basic page dimension templates. I'm not going to test the legality of sharing the included (fancy) templates from OS X's version.

Or, there are several iWorks template sharing sites. You can try downloading and importing a few of those to see how they work. I don't have a link handy, but a Google search should turn up one or two.

You have an aptitude for technology that I envy! The only size of envelope I need is #10. I really appreciate your assistance, Poet!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've done a little more experimenting.

The problem isn't getting an envelope template, it's printing it out. The printing controls in Pages are very basic.

I use Printopia on my computer to enable printing with the iPad (I don't have an AirPrint printer), so I can with some fiddling on the printer settings on the computer, force enveloper sized printing. However, the printing controls on the iPad offer no such detailed control. Without this middle man approach, I couldn't do it.

As a result, even though the envelopes template size in Pages shows the smaller dimensions, the actual print job expands to fill the entire letter or A4 page size.

Maybe this works better on a true AirPrint printer. Someone else will have to test it.

That said, I found an easy way to get enveloper templates into Pages. There are several iWorks template apps in the App Store. Using one of these you can select a template, and it will open that template in Pages. I can't really compare them. I only own one. I purchased it as much out of curiosity as any need. Most of the time I forget I have it, which is why I forgot to suggest it earlier.

It is Templates for Pages; one of several apps with almost identical names. Mine has a blue icon with the number 150 in the middle (the number of templates). It is a decent app, easy to use and the templates I've used all worked as expected (with the printing problem for envelopes above excepted). It offers six envelope templates in six sizes; #10, 6 3/4, 8x11, a2, c4, DL. Of the six styles I only consider 3 usable, as the others have way too much ink coverage for normal use.

For 99 cents it is worth what you get (not just envelopes).

But unless someone else can solve the printout problem, I don't see that having the template (by any method) is going to do you any good.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have PAGES on my iPad but I don 't have a MAC. Can I get these templates for iPad PAGES?

The OS X Pages templates are probably copyright protect, which would make sharing them with non-OS X Pages owners of dubious legality. Which is why I don't do it. What I could do, and offered, was to create blank Pages templates with enveloper dimensions, which ever ones your requested.

I'll still do this if you ask. Otherwise see my previous post on the problems with printing envelopes from the iPad, and template app solution.

Most reactions

Latest posts