What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on how to connect when wi fi not available

Laurieth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will be without wi fi and wanted to know how to connect. Is there a card I need or some other way, Iwill need something for several months.

quake5254

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you own a 3G iPad, all you need is a sim card. Ask your cellphone dealer.
If you own one that is not 3G, you can tether with your cellphone.
Or, if it is really a need, you can buy yourself something like what is shown in the pictures ( you can connect upto 5 devices with this MiFi).

Attachments

• image-2787958410.jpg
    image-2787958410.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 267
  • image-3581439748.jpg
    image-3581439748.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,484
  • image-2901691142.jpg
    image-2901691142.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 286
OP
L

Laurieth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could you tell me what you mean by tether w my cell phone

quake5254

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Laurieth said:
Could you tell me what you mean by tether w my cell phone

Ask your cellphone dealer (for detailed info) if your cellphone is capable of tethering. Your phone can be your personal wifi hotspot. iPhone is capable of doing that. Also ask for additional charges when you use your phone.

OP
L

Laurieth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I do not have iPhone, I have sprint 3G phone, I will check with them.

moe0000001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Laurieth said:
Thanks, I do not have iPhone, I have sprint 3G phone, I will check with them.

I'd recommend purchasing an HTC Sensation or equivalent on the T-Mobile 4G plan. Their pay-as-you-go plans aren't bad. Just confirm the device has a WiFi hotspot feature and that you get 4G coverage where you live.
I have an HTC Sensation bought overseas and I usually tether my iPad on it. More often than not, much faster than AT&T connection on iPad 3G.

Bumbica

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whats sorts of extra charges are we talking about? I dont live in US but just so that I can have a rough estimate of the expences. I'll be getting new ipad without cellular so I'm wondering.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bumbica said:
Whats sorts of extra charges are we talking about? I dont live in US but just so that I can have a rough estimate of the expences. I'll be getting new ipad without cellular so I'm wondering.

Some cellular providers charge a fee for activating the personal hotspot feature on your phone,plus there are fees for data usage. What you pay depends on your cellular provider. Check with them to find a data plan suitable for you.

moe0000001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bumbica said:

As far as I'm aware (I lived in several countries, US & UK included), the extra tethering charges are only in the US (AT&T namely-they are EVIL), so you probably have nothing to worry about.

However, if you live in a country where tethering is chargeable then just get a phone with WiFi hotspot online. If you run the math, if you pay extra for tethering (supposing you will pay 20$ per month or so) you will end up paying in a year enough money to buy a new phone.

Another alternative that's worth consideration, a standalone WiFi hotspot device (something similar to mifi or whatever the brand is). I saw one of those that sells for 25$, you just stick a data SIM in it and you are good to go. The one I saw can connect up to 5 devices on 4G network. Check with your carrier (and others within the country) what plans they have for data SIMs.

One last note, if those devices aren't available locally, search it online. I'm certain you can buy it made in China for practically dirt cheap.

Cheers

Bumbica

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys, some good infos here! Btw, I'm holding my new iPad in my hands this very second. It's goind to be a loong night :)

Bumbica

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
Some cellular providers charge a fee for activating the personal hotspot feature on your phone,plus there are fees for data usage. What you pay depends on your cellular provider. Check with them to find a data plan suitable for you.

Yep, using my iPhone as hotspot has worked perfectly! I think my connection was even faster then when I'm connected at home, to my wifi. My provider said no extra fees applied so, yay :)

new iPad 32GB wi-fi black

Most reactions