What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on how external keyboard works

Mbagni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would really buy a bluetooth external keyboard for my iPad but I am concerned by the fact that many images that show the external keyboard also show the keyboard on the iPad screen.

Since my desire is to get rid of my laptop also for my programming work and the presence of the overlay keyboard is the major impediment for this task I am asking those of you that use an external keyboard like the Verbatim one if they can tell me if, when using the external keyboard, the iPad SW is smart enough not to show the virtual keyboard when the bluetooth is in operation.

Thanks a lot in advance.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Mbagni said:
Hi all,

I would really buy a bluetooth external keyboard for my iPad but I am concerned by the fact that many images that show the external keyboard also show the keyboard on the iPad screen.

Since my desire is to get rid of my laptop also for my programming work and the presence of the overlay keyboard is the major impediment for this task I am asking those of you that use an external keyboard like the Verbatim one if they can tell me if, when using the external keyboard, the iPad SW is smart enough not to show the virtual keyboard when the bluetooth is in operation.

Thanks a lot in advance.

in the bottom right corner of the virtual keyboard, you will see a button with a mini keyboard icon on it, press that, and the virtual keyboard slides away

I don't have a bluetooth keyboard, but the apple one, not wireless, auto closes the virtual keyboard, maybe it is something that apple have done, so that it only does it with the apple keyboards?

Last edited:

bettafan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wytey, Great reply. I use the Zaggmate wireless keyboard/case. LOVE IT. Also protects my iPad with the aluminum case. I do put the unit into an Incase neoprene case to throw into my bag and hit the road. You can see the Zaggmate in action in the three videos on the Zagg.com website. I went to see one at Best Buy and waited for the one for iPad 2 to come in. Got mine there. Really like it a lot.:)

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wytey said:
in the bottom right corner of the virtual keyboard, you will see a button with a mini keyboard icon on it, press that, and the virtual keyboard slides away

I don't have a bluetooth keyboard, but the apple one, not wireless, auto closes the virtual keyboard, maybe it is something that apple have done, so that it only does it with the apple keyboards?

Yup, I have apple BT keyboard and it instantly connects and screen keyboard is not there! Agree with everything Wytey says although could regret it!

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mbagni said:

As the others have said, this isn't a problem. In fact the bigger problem for me is that I sometimes pick up just the iPad and leave the Zaggmate, but if I don't tell it to display the onscreen keyboard and it's still in contact with the Zaggmate I have to disable the keyboard from the Bluetooth settings to get the onscreen keyboard.

That being said, I can't imagine programming without my forward delete key. The delete on the iPad + Zaggmate (and I think the other keyboards) is a backspace key and it gets me all the time. Not a big problem for most things but it would get seriously annoying for my programming.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Catfiend said:
As the others have said, this isn't a problem. In fact the bigger problem for me is that I sometimes pick up just the iPad and leave the Zaggmate, but if I don't tell it to display the onscreen keyboard and it's still in contact with the Zaggmate I have to disable the keyboard from the Bluetooth settings to get the onscreen keyboard.

That being said, I can't imagine programming without my forward delete key. The delete on the iPad + Zaggmate (and I think the other keyboards) is a backspace key and it gets me all the time. Not a big problem for most things but it would get seriously annoying for my programming.

that I can relate to, except with Bluetooth headset.... sometimes I forget it is on lol

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a folding Bluetooth keyboard and I'm using it now. It automatically makes the on-screen keyboard 'slide away' when you start using it and automatically connects with the iPad when it's switched on. Furthermore, if the keyboard is not present, the on-screen keyboard automatically pops up again.

Apart from being easier to type on - great for touch-typists - the Bluetooth keyboards have additional keys - such as cursor keys and a range of other symbols. In addition, some iPad specific keys are available - such as the Home key.

The advantage of a folding keyboard (you can buy them from Amazon) is that it folds up so small that there's no temptation not to take it with you. It's very light, reasonably sturdy and has a great battery life - alkaline replaceable ones.

Tim

OP
Mbagni

Mbagni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all!

I think I will go with a "stand alone" keyboard (not the Zigg), since I am afraid I might feel uncomfortable with a keyboard so "tightly connected with the iPad" moreover I have already spent my tax on the leather coverage which becomes useless with the Zigg keyboard :(

Your experience has been valuable to me. Thanks again.

Most reactions

Latest posts