What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question from newbie number two

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not familiar with the text you are referring to, however...have you looked at downloading the free iBook from Apple that allows you all the learning to operate your iPad with the recent operating setting 7.0?

Please have a look at this link:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/guide-to-ios-7/id709519149?mt=11

You haven't mentioned which iPad version you have. Here is a Tips and tricks iBook which is free. This is geared towards iPad 2, however, some of the info may help you with the current devices.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/ipad-2-tips-tricks-for-beginners/id465305244?mt=11

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is the text "ipad for seniors for dummies" a good value?

Hi Mac6 - welcome to the forum! :) One of our 'Super Mods' has already responded w/ a link to the Apple guide to iOS 7 - Apple manuals can also be found HERE, so plenty already available for free. But I've been reading the Dummies books for years and this 'Senior' sub-section seems to be a little gimmicky to me? However, the book cover is shown below and a new edition is about to be released according to the Amazon description - also the previous printing did receive an average 4* rating there - NOW, I'm a retired physician & a senior, so why should a book have this title vs. just a Dummies iPad guide? Good question - and I've not read this before nor have I looked at the chapter contents, but would suggest that information should be provided regarding potential needs for older users, e.g. hearing or visual problems; arthritis & typing issues, etc.?

If these potential physical limitations are addressed in this book and if needed by the user reading the book, then might be worth a purchase over the usual iPad guides - but, you'll have to decide by reading the reviews to see if these are important for your needs - please post back if you indeed have physical problems that might impact on you using an iPad - there are 'Accessibility' options in general settings that might help. Dave :)

iPadSeniors.jpg

OP
M

mac6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SKi monkey, thanks for your return I used one of the two links you gave me , I'm not sure which one.
This happening registering for something in purple iBooks or something like that and it was a very complicated password that was necessary and so I tried this password and that password and it finally accepted. one I have no idea exactly which password it was so I tried to reregister and when I get reregistered it says your email address is already used. May not be obvious to the machine but it's obvious to me that the password the address that I'm giving it is mine which is the one that I do not have a password for so I am stuck in a no man's land help!

the world of iPad is becoming less and less fun. Another question how do I delete things to the right of the cursor I can backspace to delete things to the left but haven't figured out how to make it delete to right

Thank you

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
SKi monkey, thanks for your return I used one of the two links you gave me , I'm not sure which one.
This happening registering for something in purple iBooks or something like that and it was a very complicated password that was necessary and so I tried this password and that password and it finally accepted. one I have no idea exactly which password it was so I tried to reregister and when I get reregistered it says your email address is already used. May not be obvious to the machine but it's obvious to me that the password the address that I'm giving it is mine which is the one that I do not have a password for so I am stuck in a no man's land help!

the world of iPad is becoming less and less fun. Another question how do I delete things to the right of the cursor I can backspace to delete things to the left but haven't figured out how to make it delete to right

Thank you

HI Mac,

If you are referring to the password for obtaining that ibook--it is your Apple ID password you set your iPad up first to begin with. You will be prompted to enter your password each time you purchase an app or book. If you purchase something shortly after purchasing another, you won't be prompted to enter that password at that point.

However, if the password is for something else--such as entering into this forum-please let us know.

Regarding back space and deleting thing...no, you cannot back space as how we are accustomed to doing it on a laptop or desktop computer with keyboard. You will need to place your finger over the area which you would like to delete in order to do this.

Have a look at this thread. The post by Moderator, Scifan, describes how to do this: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-3-forum/105444-no-backspace.html

hope that helps,

Skimonkey ~ ipadforum Moderator | iPhoneforum Moderator

Last edited:

Redjupiter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
touch and hold on the point on the screen where you want the cursor to appear. After a couple of seconds a magnifying glass appears and you can gently stroke the cursor in the bubble to the exact spot. It’s a bit fiddly at first but you quickly get used to it. some apps adds few extra keys. One of them is Arrow Note text editor in the app store - it is free with advertising. it adds a couple of toolbars with arrow and many useful keys. Try it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts