Question for 16g owners

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by bryanpog, Mar 19, 2012.

1. bryanpog

bryanpog iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    How is the 16g treating u guys as far as storage goes with the upgraded apps? I'm a little worried about memory. I have a 16g wifi arriving tommorrow. I plan on using this for web browsing, email, and news apps. That's it really. No photos and definately no movies. Will I be ok?
  2. MelvynLoh

MelvynLoh iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Defitnely more than necessary
  3. bryanpog

bryanpog iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    You mean the 16g is enough or go up to 32?
  4. beesknees

beesknees iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    The question is not what current you wants but what will future you want. How long will you expect this purchase to serve your needs? 3 years, 5 years, more? If less get the 16g, if you are thinking 5... you might want to consider the 32.

The money you spend today could be money that keeps you from buying a new one sooner because it no longer serves your needs. Apps will always grow in size and you may find that you like doing more than browsing, emailing, and reading the news.

You should also know that I am always opposed to buying the cheapest option. It is not my nature. Even when I had no clue what I would be using it for I never even once considered the 16gb model. Probably a good thing since I just passed the 19gb mark. Granted 5gb is photos but still...
  5. shetlerryan

shetlerryan iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It is in my nature to buy the cheapest thing. I have 140 apps on my iPad and it takes up 6G. Anything except apps can be kept in the cloud so 16G should be plenty. Instead of purchasing a lot for one iPad, I would rather upgrade in a few years anyway.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MelvynLoh

MelvynLoh iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Its enough for what you have stated in your thread. Since yournjust browsing
  7. Amp1216

Amp1216 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes it will be plenty! Movies are big killer in G not only MB you even have room to do more stuff like music games
  8. bryanpog

bryanpog iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks guys. Can't wait for tommorrow!
  9. MelvynLoh

MelvynLoh iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You will not regret it ! I just got mine on the launch day itself, and what can i say about its performance ? Awesome !
  10. beesknees

beesknees iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0

Which is why I phrased my reply the way I did. For you it is not really cheaper because you are spending money more often. If the intent is to get a purchase that lasts longer and can be upgraded on your schedule not because you ran out of space it is cheaper to spend more. For a hundred dollars more you are almost guaranteeing the purchase will last twice as long as the 16gb model.
  11. johnml

johnml iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I ordered a 16 gig 4G but just judging from past experiences with the first generation iPad I returned it and got a 32 G. I noticed on my first iPad it would freeze up a lot and that was due to low memory. I don't consider myself a heavy user although I do use it daily for Internet and email, and occasionally watch videos, TV shows sometimes movies,
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  12. Daylife

Daylife iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    With the new screen apps are getting way bigger, I would at least go with the 32 gb, I went with the the 64, but I edit videos and have a ton of music and apps......Modern Combat 3 takes 1.8 Gb lol
  13. dynasty82

dynasty82 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I have a 16gb iPad and it is plenty for me. I dont put music on my iPad and if I have any movies it might be 1 or 2 at a time when I'm traveling. Most of my video is streaming now anyways, and once I watch a movie I take it off the iPad. I don't understand why some people feel the need to carry around there entire movie collection like they watch the same movie over and over again. I have over 100 apps and some pictures but have more than half of the space on my iPad still available.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Daylife

Daylife iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Some people like having everything, nothing wrong with that.......myself being active duty Navy when I go out to sea for months at a time l like having a choice, so I try to have as much as possible.
  15. beesknees

beesknees iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    There really isn't much to understand. The very reason bigger models exist is to cater to different needs. I have no video, 90 apps, music, and pictures and I use up 19 gig.
  16. greyhulk

greyhulk iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is all going to come down to your personal usage patterns, but I have learned in the past that it's better to have too much than not enough. I have had every iPad to date. The first one, I ordered the 64 gig and always had plenty of space. When I ordered the iPad 2, I only got the 32 gig version and I was constantly out of space on it. I had to delete apps every time I wanted to get a new one. When I ordered the new iPad, i got the 64 again.

Some things to consider:

1) App size is much bigger for retina-optimized apps (in some cases double or triple the original size)
    2) Pictures and Videos taken with the New iPad's camera will take up quite a bit of space.
    3) Apps keep getting bigger and more complex. Some of the better games take 500 mb to 1gb of space.

My advice is to get the biggest one you can afford. The simple fact is, you can't upgrade the storage later, so it's better to have too much than not enough.
  17. grouchomarx

grouchomarx iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0

100% agree.

I had the original 64G Wifi iPad and never had more than 25G used so I thought I wouldn't ever need anything bigger than the 32G so my iPad 3 came in with 32G on the 16th.

I was happy as a clam till I ran out of space in just 4 days as I was experimenting with new apps and taking photos and creating movies. The $0.99 Modern Combat 3 itself is 1.05G.

And I haven't even got much of my music and DVD transferred. Based on the apps update experience, I got a feeling most of the new apps would get bigger as well not to mention graphic-intensive materials in 1080.

I somehow lured my sister into buying my 32G and I ordered myself a 64G. Now I am concerned that even a 64G may not be enough if I were to fully toying and exploring to its full potential.

Progress or greed, take your pick.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  18. beesknees

beesknees iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    This may be common knowledge but the other thing I just noticed is that on the original iPad the photos take half the space of the 2 or the 3 for the very same directory.
  19. Paul.J

Paul.J iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Are the apps bigger in size as the new iPad has better screen hd
  20. dynasty82

dynasty82 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Oh I'm not saying there is anything wrong with getting a larger capacity iPad if you think your going to use it. When I travel, I'm only somewhere I would use movies on my iPad for a short time. I understand if your on the road more or aren't around a computer or tv. I just find it easier to use streaming media, since I'm normally around a wifi hotspot or I just tether to my iPhone. I know everyone has there personal preference and that's just mine.