What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about wi-fi vs. 3G

dpsligar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing one of the iPad 3G models. Most of the time, it would be used on a Wi-Fi network. My question is: does a Wi-Fi connection take precedence over a 3G connection? If there's an available Wi-Fi hotspot, will it try that first before using the 3G connectivity?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once you have connected to that network once, the answer is yes. The iPad will automatically connect and use the wifi connection.

Major Eazy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing one of the iPad 3G models. Most of the time, it would be used on a Wi-Fi network. My question is: does a Wi-Fi connection take precedence over a 3G connection? If there's an available Wi-Fi hotspot, will it try that first before using the 3G connectivity?

From what I have read in books on the subject of iPad. You have control over how your iPad attempts to connect to the Internet.

You can turn Wi-Fi on or off as you please. Turn it off if you're not going to be on the Internet, to save battery power, turn it on if you want to access the Internet.

Same thing with 3G, you can turn it on or off as you wish. Turn it off to save power or turn it on when you are outside of Wi-Fi hotspots.

To do those, like turning on or off whichever you want, go to the Home screen, tap 'Settings', for Wi-Fi tap 'Wi-Fi' or for 3G, tap 'General' then tap 'Network'.

I believe (unless I'm mistaken) that the iPad will try for Wi-Fi first over that of 3G unless there are no Wi-Fi signals, in which case, iPad will try for 3G.

Hope it helps?

ChIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What kind of phone do you have? If tethering using a program is an option, it be a lot cheaper to go that way and just get the wifi version, thats what I do with Iphone 3gs

PCUK

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do the same as Charmed as I rarely connect via 3G using a Huwaie (if that's how it's spelt!) Pulse (£60 from Ebay) and Barnacle App.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If you define in the SETUP that WiFi is active, yje iPAD will always try first to go internet on WiFi. If there is no connection ( you went out) it'l use the 3G. It is fully automatic. Works great for me.

Major Eazy

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If you define in the SETUP that WiFi is active, yje iPAD will always try first to go internet on WiFi. If there is no connection ( you went out) it'l use the 3G. It is fully automatic. Works great for me.

That is correct.

And you can always turn off 3G if you don't want your iPad to try to access the Internet at times when you want to limit your use of 3G, for example, depending on your 3G data plan, you could be paying monthly for a data allowance per month (say as example 1GB a month or 3GB a month) and you want to save your allowance for later. You can also turn off 3G to save battery power.

If you buy a 3G model, and turn off the 3G or that if it is left on but your iPad will always automatically try for Wi-Fi first unless you are out of hotspots, you can always be glad that the 3G is there should the time comes when you really need it.

dpsligar, your iPad will always go for Wi-Fi, as you did say most of the time it would be used on Wi-Fi network, and when you are out of any hotspots, your iPad will try 3G unless you switch off 3G, and only use 3G when you really need it.

Most reactions

Latest posts