What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question About the New Screen

Floppydog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If my main use for the iPad is an intense amount of reading PDF documents, would the iPad3 definitely be better than my iPad2? Would the new iPad be easier on my eyes? PLEASE be honest.

Thanks all,

Floppydog

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am 49 years old, and wear glasses. I like to say I have "tri-focals", you know, I look through the middle and bottom of the lens, and then over the top of the frames for close-up stuff. It cracks my boyfriend up. Anyway, my eyes are not great. I have a new iPad and am able to read much smaller text much easier and clearer than with any other device I've had. I can read smaller text on my ipad more comfortably than I can read enlarged text on my Kindle. So, that's my take on it. Take your 2 into a store and compare. To be honest, that's a bigger deal to me than the fantastic photo images that the 3 provides.

Last edited:

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How would you define better?
I'd say if your PDF's include a lot of color and graphics, then the iPad 3 will blow away any other ereader out there (you get what you pay for).

Would it be easier on your eyes - that depends on if your eyes can distinguish the difference. I prefer to read sharp text, and even a computer monitor running at high resolution is not that great. I find the iPad3 is definitely better for reading than anything else I have used other than a well bound book (but even those have problems).

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nobody else can see through your eyes. If I had any kind of eye prob and thought a crisper screen might help, I wouldn't hesitate to get a new iPad. You can take it home, test drive and return if it doesn't suit.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have your application and mdholm's eyes. I think the answer is definitely yes. But you still need to make that determination for yourself as you are the one that needs to be happy with a purchase.

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since the new iPad screen is so enjoyable to watch and read, I developed a new habit of using it all day instead of conducting most of my work on PC. After two days, i have developed a splitting headache because of reading the iPad so intensely. I suppose there's a limit for everything.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since the new iPad screen is so enjoyable to watch and read, I developed a new habit of using it all day instead of conducting most of my work on PC. After two days, i have developed a splitting headache because of reading the iPad so intensely. I suppose there's a limit for everything.

Staring at a 10-inch thing all day long is certainly not a good thing. One advantage of a monitor is that you can turn your head quite a bit and still see it. I have my ipad to the left of my monitor and use it as a separate screen, in effect, rather than staring it just that little 10-inch screen all day. Plus, I have a window open so I can peer outside from time to time.

OP
F

Floppydog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much

Thanks so much for your time and input. I guess I need to use them side by side. My eyes are OK; I just wonder if there is some sneaky advantage on the eyes, to have the higher resolution.

file:///Users/erniewoof/Pictures/PPpic.jpg

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Floppydog said:
Thanks so much for your time and input. I guess I need to use them side by side. My eyes are OK; I just wonder if there is some sneaky advantage on the eyes, to have the higher resolution.

file:///Users/erniewoof/Pictures/PPpic.jpg

I read technical PDFs that come from IEEE journals. I use GoodReader for viewing them. The retina update for this app just landed a few minutes ago. PDFs are drop dead gorgeous!!!! A absolute treat for the eyes. I can use portrait mode and read a full page without zooming in. Fonts and equations show in full detail. This is what I was waiting for and why I upgraded.

Last edited:

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read technical PDFs that come from IEEE journals. I just GoodReader for viewing them. The retina update for this app just landed a few minutes ago. PDFs are drop dead gorgeous!!!! A absolute treat for the eyes. I can use portrait mode and read a full page without zooming in. Fonts and equations show in full detail. This is what I was waiting for and why I upgraded.

Looks like my headache is unlikely to go away any time soon after this Goodreader upgrade. The books now all look drop dead gorgeous.

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Staring at a 10-inch thing all day long is certainly not a good thing. One advantage of a monitor is that you can turn your head quite a bit and still see it. I have my ipad to the left of my monitor and use it as a separate screen, in effect, rather than staring it just that little 10-inch screen all day. Plus, I have a window open so I can peer outside from time to time.

I read it in the news that optometrists all over China are finding kids spent more than 2 hours on iPad[FONT=arial, sans-serif] have far worse eyesight[/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif] when compared to normal kids.

I suppose this retina display is going hurt them even more since it is so addictive.

[/FONT]

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Floppydog said:
If my main use for the iPad is an intense amount of reading PDF documents, would the iPad3 definitely be better than my iPad2? Would the new iPad be easier on my eyes? PLEASE be honest.

Thanks all,

Floppydog

I too use my iPad mainly for reading. I upgraded from iPad 1 to the new iPad because of the higher screen resolution. I have been very pleased with the upgrade. Much less eye fatigue, even with prolonged use. Text is sharp and clear in PDFs and ebooks. You should definitely take a look.

L

Lunar

In reply to the original poster, yes you will notice an immediate improvement in the readability of text, though IMO the previous Ipad screens were quite decent too, but the new higher resolution screen is a big improvement, especially so when displaying text or web pages ect, so would be good for reading books.

I'm nearly 70yrs of age, and also wear glasses, if your main use is going to be reading books then it may be worth checking out a cheaper option such as the Kindle which is better still for reading online books ect. However for its versatility the iPad will take some beating. BTW, If you happen to wear specs, I would also recommend you get your eyes checked frequently, as the difference new glasses can make, really justify's their cost.

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too use my iPad mainly for reading. I upgraded from iPad 1 to the new iPad because of the higher screen resolution. I have been very pleased with the upgrade. Much less eye fatigue, even with prolonged use. Text is sharp and clear in PDFs and ebooks. You should definitely take a look.

Actually this is opposite to my experience. Because of the sharper image and small fonts being more legible, I tend not to zoom in during reading and after a while, my eyes get strained a lot worse which caused me to have an headache which I never suffered before during prolonged reading on my old faithful iPad 1.

Technological advancement has its curse...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
grouchomarx said:
Actually this is opposite to my experience. Because of the sharper image and small fonts being more legible, I tend not to zoom in during reading and after a while, my eyes get strained a lot worse which caused me to have an headache which I never suffered before during prolonged reading on my old faithful iPad 1.

Technological advancement has its curse...

We all get older every year. Our eyes tend to weaken and our tolerance for looking at bright screens starts to diminish.

Most reactions

Latest posts