1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Question About the New Screen

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by Floppydog, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Floppydog

Floppydog iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If my main use for the iPad is an intense amount of reading PDF documents, would the iPad3 definitely be better than my iPad2? Would the new iPad be easier on my eyes? PLEASE be honest.

Thanks all,

Floppydog
  2. mdholm

mdholm iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I am 49 years old, and wear glasses. I like to say I have "tri-focals", you know, I look through the middle and bottom of the lens, and then over the top of the frames for close-up stuff. It cracks my boyfriend up. Anyway, my eyes are not great. I have a new iPad and am able to read much smaller text much easier and clearer than with any other device I've had. I can read smaller text on my ipad more comfortably than I can read enlarged text on my Kindle. So, that's my take on it. Take your 2 into a store and compare. To be honest, that's a bigger deal to me than the fantastic photo images that the 3 provides.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  3. zphone

zphone iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    How would you define better?
    I'd say if your PDF's include a lot of color and graphics, then the iPad 3 will blow away any other ereader out there (you get what you pay for).

Would it be easier on your eyes - that depends on if your eyes can distinguish the difference. I prefer to read sharp text, and even a computer monitor running at high resolution is not that great. I find the iPad3 is definitely better for reading than anything else I have used other than a well bound book (but even those have problems).
  4. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    Nobody else can see through your eyes. If I had any kind of eye prob and thought a crisper screen might help, I wouldn't hesitate to get a new iPad. You can take it home, test drive and return if it doesn't suit.
  5. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    I have your application and mdholm's eyes. I think the answer is definitely yes. But you still need to make that determination for yourself as you are the one that needs to be happy with a purchase.
  6. grouchomarx

grouchomarx iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Since the new iPad screen is so enjoyable to watch and read, I developed a new habit of using it all day instead of conducting most of my work on PC. After two days, i have developed a splitting headache because of reading the iPad so intensely. I suppose there's a limit for everything.
  7. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Staring at a 10-inch thing all day long is certainly not a good thing. One advantage of a monitor is that you can turn your head quite a bit and still see it. I have my ipad to the left of my monitor and use it as a separate screen, in effect, rather than staring it just that little 10-inch screen all day. Plus, I have a window open so I can peer outside from time to time.
  8. Floppydog

Floppydog iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks so much

Thanks so much for your time and input. I guess I need to use them side by side. My eyes are OK; I just wonder if there is some sneaky advantage on the eyes, to have the higher resolution.

file:///Users/erniewoof/Pictures/PPpic.jpg
  9. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    I read technical PDFs that come from IEEE journals. I use GoodReader for viewing them. The retina update for this app just landed a few minutes ago. PDFs are drop dead gorgeous!!!! A absolute treat for the eyes. I can use portrait mode and read a full page without zooming in. Fonts and equations show in full detail. This is what I was waiting for and why I upgraded.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  10. grouchomarx

grouchomarx iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Looks like my headache is unlikely to go away any time soon after this Goodreader upgrade. The books now all look drop dead gorgeous.
  11. grouchomarx

grouchomarx iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I read it in the news that optometrists all over China are finding kids spent more than 2 hours on iPad[FONT=arial, sans-serif] have far worse eyesight[/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif] when compared to normal kids.

I suppose this retina display is going hurt them even more since it is so addictive.

[/FONT]
  12. JewelGarden

JewelGarden iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    I too use my iPad mainly for reading. I upgraded from iPad 1 to the new iPad because of the higher screen resolution. I have been very pleased with the upgrade. Much less eye fatigue, even with prolonged use. Text is sharp and clear in PDFs and ebooks. You should definitely take a look.
  13. Lunar

Lunar Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In reply to the original poster, yes you will notice an immediate improvement in the readability of text, though IMO the previous Ipad screens were quite decent too, but the new higher resolution screen is a big improvement, especially so when displaying text or web pages ect, so would be good for reading books.

I'm nearly 70yrs of age, and also wear glasses, if your main use is going to be reading books then it may be worth checking out a cheaper option such as the Kindle which is better still for reading online books ect. However for its versatility the iPad will take some beating. BTW, If you happen to wear specs, I would also recommend you get your eyes checked frequently, as the difference new glasses can make, really justify's their cost.
  14. grouchomarx

grouchomarx iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Actually this is opposite to my experience. Because of the sharper image and small fonts being more legible, I tend not to zoom in during reading and after a while, my eyes get strained a lot worse which caused me to have an headache which I never suffered before during prolonged reading on my old faithful iPad 1.

Technological advancement has its curse...
  15. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    We all get older every year. Our eyes tend to weaken and our tolerance for looking at bright screens starts to diminish.