What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about sound

Cooltwou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My sound is not working for notifications for Facebook email or Messaging chat program but I have sound for Games and Pandora what could the problem be

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello & welcome to the forum! :) Just for starters and if not already done, 'Reset' the iPad 2 (my assumption based on the forum), i.e. hold down the ON-OFF & HOME buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears (may take 10 seconds or so), then release both and wait for the device to reboot - none of your apps, data, or settings will be lost. Let us know if this helps - if not, please post back to this thread. Dave

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My sound is not working for notifications for Facebook email or Messaging chat program but I have sound for Games and Pandora what could the problem be
Have you gone to Settings>Notifications and tapped on the app in question to make sure that Sounds was turned on? If it's turned off there won't be any notification sounds.
image.jpg

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And here's a third suggestion:

Make sure you didn't mute your iPad. You can take a look at this in your Control Center, it's the bell sign, and you can find it here on your device:
image.jpg

This is a screenshot from an iPad Air (first version), so my Control Center is different. Mute would be between these two icons.

If the background of this sign is white, tap it to disable it. When Mute is enabled, notification sounds won't work, but other sounds, like those from games, still can be heard.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And here's a third suggestion:

Make sure you didn't mute your iPad. You can take a look at this in your Control Center, it's the bell sign, and you can find it here on your device:
View attachment 61774
This is a screenshot from an iPad Air (first version), so my Control Center is different. Mute would be between these two icons.

If the background of this sign is white, tap it to disable it. When Mute is enabled, notification sounds won't work, but other sounds, like those from games, still can be heard.
This shows Mute in the on position.
image.jpg

OP
C

Cooltwou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
None of that worked and the mute is not on and I did reset and still no sound

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
None of that worked and the mute is not on and I did reset and still no sound
Maybe you accidentally changed a setting that caused the problem. To return all settings to their default go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings. This will not erase any data but you will have re-enter any passwords used to access websites, WiFi, etc.

OP
C

Cooltwou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know how I changed any settings because all I did was go in settings to see if the sound was on and notifications sound was on and that is all I did.
Also I have noticed that I can play videos in Facebook and have sound but notifications still no sound

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Look at Settings - Sounds and make sure you selected a sound for Text Tone and Facebook Post. None shouldn't be visible there, unlike my screenshot (Facebook Post).
Also enable Change with Buttons, in case it's turned off, and slide the volume to the right, as far as you prefer, to make sure you'll hear incoming messages or posts.
image.jpg

OP
C

Cooltwou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I checked what you said to check and sounds are on and everyone of them has a sound

Tweak2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could you be sync'd with a Bluetooth speaker that is in another mode? That's happened to me.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Check Settings - Do Not Disturb. It should be turned off.

If none of this helps, reset all settings, as suggested by scifan57. If there's a setting we didn't find so far that was enabled or disabled and prevents your iPad from playing sound for notifications, this will rectify it and set your device's settings back to default.

OP
C

Cooltwou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know how it can be setting because I have never changed any settings

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
All the sounds, for incoming mails, for outgoing emails, ... are the default tones? The ones that were pre-selected when you purchased the iPad?

Most reactions

Latest posts