What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about screen brightness for nightime reading on ipad 2 and 3 comparison?

youngun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How does the ipad 3 compare with the ipad 2 in terms of nightime reading/reading in dark?

Does one of them strain the eyes more than the other? I would think the ipad 3 would cause more strain on the eyes in the dark because of the new screen - but thats just a guess.

I hope the people who have used both can help me on this one!

Thanks!

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have all three generations. I prefer to use my iPad 1 to read ebooks--out of habit. I read a lot of work docs on my iPad 2 and I read many pdf files on the New iPad. I have set brightness to 50%, turned off auto-bright (uses up battery). I find that the New iPad is the best iPad to read any doc. It has less blurr. If you have a choice, get the new iPad. But if it is a financial consideration, then the iPad2 is good alternative.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have One and Three. I prefer to read on the Three. Most of the time at night I'm reading in Kindle app, turn on the nighttime white on black and turn brightness way down. Very easy in the eyes as its a soft gray (I often up the font size a bit at night too) on black.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have One and Three. I prefer to read on the Three. Most of the time at night I'm reading in Kindle app, turn on the nighttime white on black and turn brightness way down. Very easy in the eyes as its a soft gray (I often up the font size a bit at night too) on black.

I love reading at night with white on black turned on. Makes reading very easy on the eyes.

L

Lunar

I still rate the iPad 1 & 2 screens as being pretty good, but my iPad 3 is obviously better for reading than our iPad1, only thing I've noticed though is for subdued lighting I do have to turn the brightness down quite a lot otherwise if reading a book I end up with a headache if it's too bright. .. I always make sure there is some ambient lighting on in the room, that way lcd backlights are less noticable..bearing in mind it's impossible to get true black... easier on the eyes too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts