What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about Safari

sgodin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm tringle to download photos from thé website We transfer, but it telles me that the download has failed. After that i get an info mess. Telling me that i CAN change the
Location of thé download browser. What dose this mean and how do i rectify to get my jpg photos?

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm tringle to download photos from thé website We transfer, but it telles me that the download has failed. After that i get an info mess. Telling me that i CAN change the
Location of thé download browser. What dose this mean and how do i rectify to get my jpg photos?

Hello sgodin and welcome to the forum. I'm not sure how you went about this, but this may assist as background info in getting photos onto your iPad from various sources:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-load-photos-onto-your-ipad.html
Regards, Andrew

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

OP
S

sgodin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for replying...i read the link you sent but it does not answer m'y question. My photos are in a folder in the We Transfer Website. When i press the download button i get a message that Safari cannot download.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you can display an image in Safari, press and hold on the image until the menu pops up, then choose Save Image. It will be saved to your Camera Roll.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you for replying...i read the link you sent but it does not answer m'y question. My photos are in a folder in the We Transfer Website. When i press the download button i get a message that Safari cannot download.

I went to the We Transfer site and sent myself a jpg. I was able to click on the link in Mail, which took me to Safari, which offered me the Download button. The picture downloaded into a tab in Safari where I tap-held on it to save to the Photos app.

I can think of two reasons why it may not be working for you.

1) The file is broken or incompatible with being displayed in Safari. If this is the case you might have more luck copying the link into an app like GoodReader, using it's built in browser to download the file. GoodReader will download a file whether it recognizes the file type or not. You'll still need an app that can read the file afterwards.

2) Safari has some problems with the site. In this case try going to Settings > Safari and clear data and cookies. Some sites that use scripts and cookies can fail of the data on the device gets corrupted. This will force the site to reload the cookies for your site. Make sure you are not in Privacy mode (dark gray toolbar) and that you have Block Cookies set to block third party sites and advertisers in Safari's settings.

Note: When you clear cookies and data all the sites that usually remember you will require you to log in again.

alicepattinson

iPF Novice
Reaction score

have you tried pressing the image long enough that you can save the photo? SAVE IMAGE AS...

OP
S

sgodin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Mr poet,

I have downloaded Goodreader and to register I need to enter my e-mail which is ok but it requires an Access key code that I should have received in my emails and which I did not get. What do I do now ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like you got the wrong version of GoodReader. The free version is for enterprises that purchase back-end software to support it. I'm guessing the key you're expecting would come from the enterprise/business you purchased the app to access.

The paid version (no red lock on the icon) does not require any special unlocks or keys.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goodreader-for-ipad/id363448914?mt=8

I can understand that you probably don't want to pay $4.99 for an app that might not solve your problem. All I can do is assure you it is a very good app and is likely to come in handy in the future if not now. It's as close to a local file system as you can get on the iPad, views many files types, and has a multitude of handy tools.

In the future though, I recommend turning whoever is sending these files to you onto DropBox, free, fast, and lots of apps on the iPad can interact with it directly. Or if you want to share entire folders easily, Box.com. Both have free account options.

OP
S

sgodin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you...I indeed bought the app of Goodreader but I'm just trying to understand how it works.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you...I indeed bought the app of Goodreader but I'm just trying to understand how it works.

Ok, now I'm really embarrassed. :eek:

I tried the browser in GoodReader and all I can do is download an html file that tells me the browser is outdated. Basically I just copied the link from Mail and pasted it into GoodReader's built in browser, or the URL download options. Both found under the Web Downloads section in the right column.

I'm very sorry. I should have tested the app first, but this is the first time I've run into a problem with GoodReader and downloading files from a website.

Anyway, I'm assuming the error page is the same one you are getting; which is strange since I don't get it when using Safari. Are you using an older version of iOS, 5 or 6 maybe?

At any rate the page suggests the Chrome browser app, which does work for me. It's free and in the App Store, so worth a try. You'll still need to tap and hold on the Download button in Mail, then choose Copy. Open the Chrome app and paste into the URL bar by tapping (so the cursor appears there) then tap-holding until you get a paste option.

Good luck.

If you decide you really din't want the GoodReader app it is possible to ask Apple for a refund. It will take a while, but you don't really need any more explanation than that the app was not what you thought it was. But I encourage you to explore it first and see what it does. You may find you like it.

Again, sorry for the wild goose chase.

OP
S

sgodin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok now, i've downloaded the We transfer link 7 times in Goodreader, then as you said it does not work so i had to download Google chrome. I copied the URL into Google chrome, i get the option to download my pictures...i press download it works for a bit and then nothing happens. How come it was so simple to download these pictures in my PC but ont in the iPad ? It is so frustrating and Time consuming.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm pretty much at a loss at this point. It doesn't help that it works for me in both Safari and Chrome. That makes it difficult to figure out why it is not working for you.

So now I'm wondering if it's not the service, but something to do with that particular file. The email should show the files name and extension, the size of the file, and how long it will be available for. Take a look and see if any of those things aren't matching what you expected. If you sent the file to yourself, you might try again, to see if it happens again. It would not be a bad idea to send a different file to yourself and see if it works.

You never did say what version of iOS you were on. It might explain why Safari on my iPad and yours are working differently.

Last edited:
OP
S

sgodin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I retried downloading through Google Chrome and now I'm getting error code 102

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm on iso7!

I'm just confused now. I have no idea why it works for me and not you. If you have not tried all the usual fixes (below) I'd give them a go. You may end up having to restore the iPad. A few people who have upgraded to iOS 7 have found this necessary to get things working right again.

I'm afraid that's all I can think of. Other than using some other service, if that is a choice.

------------------------------
The Usual Fixes
------------------------------

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app:

iOS 6: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app.

iOS 7: Double tap the Home button to get the multitasking display. Swipe up on the problem app's thumbnail image (not the icon).

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Reset All Settings: Another, somewhat more drastic thing you can do is Reset All Settings. You'll find this under Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. It won't erase any of your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to go through most of your other settings and re-tweak them back to your liking.

Most reactions

Latest posts