1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Question about Photos App

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by MemphisMark, Jan 15, 2014.

1. MemphisMark

MemphisMark iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I have a lot of images in my Photos app, like over 700.

I have moved some into subfolders, but they remain in the Camera Roll. It has become almost painful to search for an image in the Camera Roll, because there are so many.

Is there a way I can add an image to another folder ("Funnies" for example) and be able to delete it in the Camera Roll and not have it removed from the "Funnies" folder?
  2. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,037 / 1
    I'm afraid not. Your photos are stored in the camera roll and all that is stored in the various folders you have created are bookmarks to the original photos in the camera roll. If you delete a photo from the camera roll, it is also deleted from every folder it was in.
  3. MemphisMark

MemphisMark iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Thanks. I'll figure something out...
  4. LannyC

LannyC iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +342 / 0
    There is a way:

1. Copy the photos to your computer. Sort them into whatever folder structure you wish.

2. Delete the photos from your iPad.

3. In iTunes on your computer, use the "sync folders" option to copy them back onto your iPad, just as if they had come from your camera.

You will not be able to further move or delete the photos on your iPad. You will control them on your computer.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  5. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,985 / 1
    Another options is to use Shared Photo Streams. You can create albums in iCloud that are shared across your devices (and computer if you have a Mac). There are limits to the number of albums and their size, but you are unlikely to run up against them anytime soon.

Here are some Apple help pages on the subject. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

iCloud: Shared Photo Streams FAQ

and so you'll know the difference between Shared Photo Streams and plain old Photo Stream.

iCloud: My Photo Stream FAQ

By the way, this is what I'm doing these days instead of the iTunes sync albums. They are more trouble to manage than the iTunes synced albums, but you don't need anything but your iPad, and iCloud account.