What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question About Newstand

mjtyler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help
Can anyone tell me how to get my newspapers subscriptions into the newsstand? I currently have them in a folder and would be chuffed to bring them across.
Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't answer your question, mjtyler.

However, I have taken it out of a thread concerning multi-gestures so that, hopefully, it can be seen by those that can help. Good luck.

Marilyn

Qdiddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't drag them into newsstand the app has to be upgraded to support newsstand by the developer

stevnim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure where Apple is going with Newsstand. They only carry magazines; News and Newsstand are a separate categories in the App Store.

-stevnim

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can't drag them into newsstand the app has to be upgraded to support newsstand by the developer

Yes, but all but one of my 7 magazines are all via Pixel-Mag's apps and they released the updates yesterday for iOS 5, yet the magazines go nowhere near the Newsstand icon. Not a big deal, as I'm just continuing as I had before and I bumped the icon from my first page, but I'm curious to see how it would have worked.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've pinched this from another thread. Our member Jsh1120 has supplied this info. For some reason I couldn't get the whole quote though, but this says it all Hope you don't mind Steve.

() Apple has negotiated contracts with several publishers to put their publications into "Newsstand." These include all of the Conde Nast publications as well as others, e.g. New York Times.

() A user cannot eliminate the "Newsstand" or put it into another folder. Like other apps forced on the user by Apple it cannot be eliminated. And since it's a folder it cannot be placed in another folder. (Another of iOS's annoying limitations.) If you don't want to look at an empty set of shelves your only option is to stick it on that back page you never look at.

() If you happen to subscribe to a publication that is part of a Newsstand contract, that subscription will go into the Newsstand "folder." You cannot move it out. (I know this because I've had a subscription to the New Yorker, a Conde Nast publication, for a long time and it's now stuck in Newsstand.)

() If you subscribe to a publication that is not part of a Newsstand contract, (e.g. Washington Post) you cannot put it into "Newsstand." Nor can you put any other "news" app such as Flipboard into Newsstand. Or any other app (e.g. The Onion) for that matter.

Qdiddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, but all but one of my 7 magazines are all via Pixel-Mag's apps and they released the updates yesterday for iOS 5, yet the magazines go nowhere near the Newsstand icon. Not a big deal, as I'm just continuing as I had before and I bumped the icon from my first page, but I'm curious to see how it would have worked.

Yea they gotta apparently add the newsstand feature as opposed to just adding support for ios 5, i think newsstand is one of those 50/50 ideas where if supported properly by apple and developers will take off, or will just crash and burn. Heck most of the mags available want a higher subscription price then the print copy, thats regressing IMO not progress.

Most reactions

Latest posts