What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about magazines in Newstand

metfanatic11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I travel a lot and am thinking about getting my Men's Health subscription on my iPad 2. My question is, once a new monthly subscription is loaded into the newstand will I be able to view it on the plane ( in airplane mode with no wifi)?

Any help would really be appreciated because I won't get much use out of the subscription if I can't read it in the air.

Thanks!
Mark

AlxiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
metfanatic11 said:
I travel a lot and am thinking about getting my Men's Health subscription on my iPad 2. My question is, once a new monthly subscription is loaded into the newstand will I be able to view it on the plane ( in airplane mode with no wifi)?

Any help would really be appreciated because I won't get much use out of the subscription if I can't read it in the air.

Thanks!
Mark

Hi there, I think newsstand works in much the same way as iBooks. Once you have the book / magazine uploaded onto your device you should be able to view it without any connection. But, I of course can be mistaken. Any experts out there?

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

jmbarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe Alxipad is correct. If you download direct to the iPad, sync it to iTunes so that it will copy to your computer, then resync the iPad. The magazine will then physically (in digital form anyway) reside on your iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is probably up the developer to some degree. There may be some magazines with features that won't work without an internet connection, links or extended content. Their descriptions in the App Store should tell you if this is so.

But the vast majority need no internet connection once the magazine is downloaded. Even ones with internet features will probably work well enough to read all the articles. At least all the magazines I've ever tried worked fine offline (a huge test sample of 4 or 5).

4ipadhelp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just realized that ALL of my magazine subscriptions are "gone" after updating to the latest iOS. This means MANY, MANY GBs of downloading on a not so fast connection. Is this a developer issue? I also realize that when my iPad times out no further downloading happens. Is there a setting that will keep my iPad downloading even after the time-out?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes,go to settings-general-auto lock-never.This will prevent your iPad from going to sleep and stopping the downloads.After the downloads are finished,you can restore your previous auto lock settings.You may want to plug in your iPad before starting the downloads.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts