What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about ipad screens..pls answer

heylanceyy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So we have some old couple ipads/ iphones that my dad wish to give to my cousin coz he badly wants one. So my dad really wanted to give it as if like its brand new so my dad would want to have the screens replaced since theres some scratches existing already +'the oleophobic coating has already worn off. So here's my question..

What does LCD do?
i mean, when i asked the repair store, they say LCD is included in the repair even if i just want to replace the glass. Does that have anything to do with the quality of the screen display? If i swapped the original screen to the one in the repair, will it lessen the screen quality and have obvious pixels on it? will i retain the retina display? or will the performance be bad? Would be nice if anyone of you would share experiences about the replacement of their screens since theres no authorized/ legit iphone repair. Ofcourse we cant go with the apple care coz thats just too expensive, so im just trying to make sure what we're dealing with. Other than that, i also want to know other things that we may need to check for the replacement. Thank you! the display and the performance is really important since it will be a gift.

Last edited:

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So we have some old couple ipads/ iphones that my dad wish to give to my cousin coz he badly wants one. So my dad really wanted to give it as if like its brand new so my dad would want to have the screens replaced since theres some scratches existing already +'the oleophobic coating has already worn off. So here's my question..

What does LCD do?
i mean, when i asked the repair store, they say LCD is included in the repair even if i just want to replace the glass. Does that have anything to do with the quality of the screen display? If i swapped the original screen to the one in the repair, will it lessen the screen quality and have obvious pixels on it? will i retain the retina display? or will the performance be bad? Would be nice if anyone of you would share experiences about the replacement of their screens since theres no authorized/ legit iphone repair. Ofcourse we cant go with the apple care coz thats just too expensive, so im just trying to make sure what we're dealing with. Other than that, i also want to know other things that we may need to check for the replacement. Thank you! the display and the performance is really important since it will be a gift.

LCD stands for Liquid Crystal Display, it's the Retina Display that you look at on your iPad. As long as the display is replaced with a genuine Apple replacement part, you won't notice any difference in quality or performance.

Roy

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

OP
H

heylanceyy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LCD stands for Liquid Crystal Display, it's the Retina Display that you look at on your iPad. As long as the display is replaced with a genuine Apple replacement part, you won't notice any difference in quality or performance.

Roy

so the repair that is done out of apple will get rid of the retina display?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A retina display iPad can only use a Retina display. If you want guaranteed quality, have a genuine Apple replacement screen installed by an authorized repair shop. Unapproved third party replacement parts can be more trouble than they're worth.

The only iPads without a retina display are the iPads 1 and 2 and the early iPad Mini. Screens meant for those iPads will not fit an iPad designed to have a Retina display.

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score

It depends on what part the shop replaces the screen with. If they use a genuine Apple replacement part, it will be identical to the screen already in your iPad. If the shop doesn't use genuine Apple parts, then there is a possibility of video and performance problems.

The best I could tell you is to ask the shop if the parts are genuine or not, then make your decision based on what they tell you. You can always take it to your nearest Apple Store, or if one is not in your area find an authorized Apple repair shop. Then you can be assured that you'll get genuine parts.

Roy

OP
H

heylanceyy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A retina display iPad can only use a Retina display. If you want guaranteed quality, have a genuine Apple replacement screen installed by an authorized repair shop. Unapproved third party replacement parts can be more trouble than they're worth.

The only iPads without a retina display are the iPads 1 and 2 and the early iPad Mini. Screens meant for those iPads will not fit an iPad designed to have a Retina display.

does this thing applies to iphones too? (iphone 5)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
does this thing applies to iphones too? (iphone 5)
The advice applies to iPhones as well as iPads. iPhones and iPads are not inexpensive devices. Their value makes it worthwhile to make sure only genuine replacement parts are used in any repairs. Apple and all authorized independent repair shops will use only genuine Apple parts to repair any of your devices.

OP
H

heylanceyy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The advice applies to iPhones as well as iPads. iPhones and iPads are not inexpensive devices. Their value makes it worthwhile to make sure only genuine replacement parts are used in any repairs. Apple and all authorized independent repair shops will use only genuine Apple parts to repair any of your devices.
i meant that ipads that are retina can only be replaced by a retina, does that applies to iphones too? Like, the retina is really required? though my dad rlly wants to retain the quality of the product, we went to apple and they say they dont have any recommendation to replacemrnt but their own, which is not advisable in our case.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A retina screen does not refer to a brand name. It's just a matter of pixel density. What is important is that the phone have exactly the right part, no matter who makes it. Mobile devices (including iPads and iPhones)are not like computers where you can buy a variety of displays, you have to have exactly the right screen size and pixel dimensions for them to work. They don't' have the flexibility of a desktop computer.

So, whether you go with the Apple approved screen or a less reliable third party choice, the actual part will be functionally and physically the same as far as the iPad is concerned. The choice is between reliability and quality; good manufacturing practices and the quality of the materials used. Or, how long it will last and how good it will look.

OP
H

heylanceyy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A retina screen does not refer to a brand name. It's just a matter of pixel density. What is important is that the phone have exactly the right part, no matter who makes it. Mobile devices (including iPads and iPhones)are not like computers where you can buy a variety of displays, you have to have exactly the right screen size and pixel dimensions for them to work. They don't' have the flexibility of a desktop computer.

So, whether you go with the Apple approved screen or a less reliable third party choice, the actual part will be functionally and physically the same as far as the iPad is concerned. The choice is between reliability and quality; good manufacturing practices and the quality of the materials used. Or, how long it will last and how good it will look.
Thanks for clearing that out. I guess that answered our question

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPhones and iPads are not inexpensive devices. Their value makes it worthwhile to make sure only genuine replacement parts are used in any repairs.
And for this reason I would personally not trust the repair to anyone other than an Apple shop. I realize there are authorized repair shops, but I would have it done by Apple. Just my personal preference.

Most reactions

Latest posts