What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about iOS being shipped with iPad 2

BaloErets

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I've had my iPad 2 64gig Wi-Fi for about 4 months, and loving it. Got it jailbroken and works like a charm.

The thing is that my son's birthday is coming soon and I'm thinking about getting him an iPad 2. So I'm wondering if Apple update new shipments with the latest updates of iOS 4, or do they ship with a certain firmware as standard?

In other words, are the latest batches of iPad 2's still jb-able?

Thanks in advance. Much appreciated.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, Apple always puts the latest IOS on them as they are manufactured, so 4.3.5 at the moment. The only way to get a 4.3.3 one is to take a chance purchasing one at retail and hope that it has been in the supply chain since the days of 4.3.3... Obviously each day that passes, the chances of getting one diminishes, but members of the site have reported getting lucky at BestBuy as recently as the last few days...

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Confirmed that 4.3.5 is shipping now. A new one arrived Friday and that's what was installed.

-t

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The other possibility is eBay or another resale site. Sometimes you can find new in the box stuff for sale, and it's usually older. Check with the seller. Also check the seller's reviews to make sure they are reliable. I've always had good luck with eBay myself.

OP
B

BaloErets

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info. Very much appreciated!

dynax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went to a local BB store and ask the manager to get me an iPad with 4.3.3. I opened a few and find one with the firmware I wanted. It happened to be a black 16G vrz3G. We checked the returned iPads first since that would give me the highest chance (as they can be ~14 day old). The extra 10% off and a free screen protector are just the added bonus.

Just slip a guy a $100 bill and you'll get your 4.3.3 iPad :)'

I actually went there for a HP Touchpad - which he told me he had 80 last week and all sold out within 30 mins.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm curious how you checked the iOS version of his new stock. Did you connect each one to iTunes and go through the initialization startup process?

I assume the returned ones had been reset and you had to do the same to these.

-t

OP
B

BaloErets

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went to a local BB store and ask the manager to get me an iPad with 4.3.3. I opened a few and find one with the firmware I wanted. It happened to be a black 16G vrz3G. We checked the returned iPads first since that would give me the highest chance (as they can be ~14 day old). The extra 10% off and a free screen protector are just the added bonus.

I actually went there for a HP Touchpad - which he told me he had 80 last week and all sold out within 30 mins.

Thanks for the info.

Good to hear that there is still hope. I was under the impression that Apple finally had a steady supply (i.e. not constantly being sold out) only after the jailbreak for iPad 2, and therefore the chances of finding a 4.3.3 would be quite slim. Very content to realize that I was wrong.

I will definitely give this a go!

dynax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't see what they did. He brought the ipads to the geek squad and came out with the one already turned on and at the "general/about" screen.

before going that path, I offered to buy the display model and they can just pop another box and put that unit onto the display instead. That was a no-go because the display units are controlled/allocated by the corporate, not the local store mngr.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks for the info.

Good to hear that there is still hope. I was under the impression that Apple finally had a steady supply (i.e. not constantly being sold out) only after the jailbreak for iPad 2, and therefore the chances of finding a 4.3.3 would be quite slim. Very content to realize that I was wrong.

I will definitely give this a go!

I think dynax was extremely lucky and got a very helpful manager. I can't imagine too many empolyee's going out of there way like that and taking the time to go through several iPads to find one with a certain firmware. I think more than likely the response you will get is "Sorry, we can't do that. Either you want it or you don't." I would also imagine they would only let you do 1-2 exchanges. Don't get me wrong, it's worth a shot... worst they can say is no.

Your best bet is probably getting one off craigslist where they are advertising that it is 4.3.3 firmware. Keep in mind though if you ever have to do a restore or exchange you will lose your JB as you do not have the blobs. Actually I guess anyone who has to do an exchange with lose their JB regardless if they have the blobs or not.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, that was nice (or greedy haha) of him. I got lucky buying a 4.3.3 around 3 weeks ago. I thought it was real lucky then.

KeithDib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I picked up a 16GB wifi last week at Best Buy and it was 4.3.3...

Jailbroke as soon as out of the box

Most reactions

Latest posts