What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about clearing App history?

Lovespicyfood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a little confused on this and would appreciate some clarity. When you "double-click" the home button, I thought it shows the history of apps on the bottom of the screen.

My bro says these are apps that are still running that could slow down my Ipad2. I thought he was wrong, but I have the app Print To PDF and have to "load" it to enable me to use it as a printer when wanting to print. Who is correct?

Also, is there an easier way to clear this "history" instead of one at a time? I just cleared ~25 apps from it.

TIA,
Pete

snowboarder8985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some apps aren't set up for multitasking. Once you close out to open a new app, it automatically stops working. Not sure if this is true, just basing it off experience.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
Your brother is correct. The apps under the double-click home screen are still running. It's good to clear them occasionally as they can use up storage. And no, there is no easier way to close the apps. One at a time is the only way to close them out (on a non-jailbroken iPad).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
They are NOT running. Well, maybe one or two are, depending on the type (location services, music, and a couple other background tasks are possible). Other than that they use no CPU time. They do take up RAM, which will occasionally cause problems for other apps that need a lot of it.

Not all of them are in RAM, after all there is only so much, and the list does not purge apps just because they were removed from RAM. It probably should. It would make more sense.

Most reactions

Latest posts