What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about cases

caitlinsmom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know this has probably been asked before but I didn't find anything in the search. So forgive me if this sounds repetitive to some of you :)

I've had my ipad for a few weeks now and I am using just a padded case that my friend let me borrow until I find my own. My question is do I get a "skin" and a case to put it in or should I go for something like a leather portfolio? If I get a skin what kind should I go for that won't attract dust and lint? And are there cases out there that fit the ipad with a skin on it?

I am driving myself crazy looking at reviews and cases. After hours of searching I am still undecided on what I should do. I am becoming a little obsessed about it so I just want to find something and buy it - lol.

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions are much appreciated!

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's personal preference for alot of people. I like the Hard Candy street Skin case for mine, where my wife likes the portfolio style for hers.

I bought her a generic 17$ one from Amazon, and she likes the look of the Apple case currently, as it can fold in a few different ways, and secures the iPad from falling out when folded back. (unlike her current one).

Not sure if many cases fit with a skin, but you perhaps could be able to fit one with the front\back decals if that is your thing.

OP
C

caitlinsmom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks y2kgtp! I was looking at the street skins and thought they were neat. Does that top cover come completely off? When traveling do you keep that skin on and put it in a traveling bag? Guess that was my main question as to whether or not if I had a skin would it fit inside a traveling bag/case.

If you don't mind can you post a link to the $17 one you got your wife? Would be interested in seeing it. Also, what do you mean you say front/back decal one? Apologize, I am new to all of this :D

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks y2kgtp! I was looking at the street skins and thought they were neat. Does that top cover come completely off? When traveling do you keep that skin on and put it in a traveling bag? Guess that was my main question as to whether or not if I had a skin would it fit inside a traveling bag/case.

If you don't mind can you post a link to the $17 one you got your wife? Would be interested in seeing it. Also, what do you mean you say front/back decal one? Apologize, I am new to all of this :D

The cover can come off, and just 'clips' on the back at the same 4 corners....or I just leave it off. (it's on right now actually). The ridges are great, it's very easy to grip, and does not pull away from the screen like silicone, as it's more of a hard rubber plastic material.

Here is the case from Amazon (We have prime membership)...it was 17.95$ shipped. It's not bad, but can slide out of the case if you flip the cover to it's back, and then face the iPad downward.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NYO0O2/ref=oss_product"]Amazon.com: Apple iPad Empire Leather Portfolio Stand Case…[/ame]

And Vinyl skins...really just stickers to go front\back of the iPad. I don't see a need/want unless you just don't like to have a case at all on it.

ipad vinyl skins items - Get great deals on Computers Networking, Cell Phones PDAs items on eBay.com!

Last edited:

Mach3Composites

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What you really need to look at is how you intend to use your iPad. Travel, just around the house, business, from there I think you will find something that will meet your individual needs.

OP
C

caitlinsmom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I plan to use it for travel and around the house.

I was looking at the hard candy sleek skin; anyone have an opinion on those?

OP
C

caitlinsmom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks y2kgtp for the links. I am thinking of just getting a "skin" and then a case to put it in. I really like the incase neoprene sleeve and from a video it looks like you can put the ipad in there with a skin on it. Would be for home use then.

Maybe down the road I will get an actual travel bag for it to hold all the accessories (really like the booq taipan shadow xs bag). In the meantime, the ipad fits in my handbag :D

OP
C

caitlinsmom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just in case anyone else is interested you can use this case:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OL0ING/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk]Amazon.com: rooCASE Dual Station Folio Full Genuine Leather (Magenta) Case for Apple iPad 3G Wi-Fi: Electronics[/ame]

with the switcheasy nude slim skin :) (per a review from another buyer)

Mach3Composites

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For travel I would have to make a plug for our case. Very light and very strong, but we are on the higher end for price due to the fact it is 100% carbon fiber. We have some product reviews and links below in the vendors section. We do provide lifetime warranty with the case for any defects. You can PM me if you have any specific questions on the case. We are offering a 20% discount (back to school) promotion, it's just a title you dont have to actually be going back to school, until Sept 15. If interstest just e-mail me [email protected] and I will send you a code.

Twiddles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used to use the Apple case which I thought worked well. I much prefer the incase leather portfolio shown here.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zphp2vnCq5g&feature=youtube_gdata_player]YouTube - Incase convertable book case review for iPad[/ame]

Wife prefers zip close planner style. Good luck :)

OP
C

caitlinsmom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks twiddles - there are so many to choose from! I do like that incase one as well.

OP
C

caitlinsmom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I figured this one would be pretty secure since it had the snap closure at the top?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OL0ING/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk]Amazon.com: rooCASE Dual Station Folio Full Genuine Leather (Magenta) Case for Apple iPad 3G Wi-Fi: Electronics[/ame]

chewan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I been studied some ipad case few months before I bought apple case.

Its depend on how u want to use it. I found apple case better since its thinner, foldable and hold ipad tight

Earlier I thought folio type suit my way but saw its too thick. You just get 1 bag to carry it along. Now i just carry this bag anywhere. No more laptop!

OP
C

caitlinsmom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know that I decided on the roocase. I like the case except that there is no corner protection but overall it is a nice case. The ipad fits securly inside and it has a magnetic snap closure on the front.

Here are some photos......

This is the box that it comes in; I was already impressed lol.

1zbtlid.jpg

11sf86f.jpg

Nice soft suede interior
e7lyqb.jpg

Like the top clasp/button to keep it from sliding out
30axb2q.jpg

Stands at this low angle
1zd1wuv.jpg

As well as this high angle
2s8il4n.jpg

Hope this post helps someone else that is trying to decide on a case! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts