What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question About Apple ID’s

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi All, I post here (correctly, I hope!) as this is more Apple-related than iPad related.

My question: Must an Apple ID be an email address? If so, why? And, assuming an email address is required, is Apple’s own email service more secure to use than a third party email?

If an email address isn’t required, what is acceptable as an Apple ID?

Thank You

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you create an Apple ID, you have to enter an email address, and it’s not possible to change it to something different afterwards. The only countries allowed to use something different (phone number) are India and China (mainland).

You need the email address, because Apple will contact you regularly per email, telling you about new apps, features, updates, your subscriptions, ...
You also need it to use the App Store, iTunes Store, FaceTime, iMessages, ...

Whether or not this email address is secure, depends on your settings, als well as your “behaviour”.

With Two Factor Authentication, it’s at least as secure as other email addresses with similar features. Here’s more information:
Two-factor authentication for Apple ID

In addition, you get advice from Apple to keep your ID as secure as possible:
Security and your Apple ID
Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams

There are regular attempts by scammers to take over Apple IDs. A few of our members have reported some of these on iPad Forums. If you fall for this scam, you will certainly weaken the security of your ID.

If you think someone has your login credentials, it might still be possible to regain control:
If you think your Apple ID has been compromised

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you, J.A., for the info! Much appreciated!

Most reactions

Latest posts