What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Query re iOS and automatic software updates of apps

happytravels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I'm a newbie using a white 64 gb wifi iPad.

After updating to latest iOS, I had around 20 updates of various apps. In my excitment of the slightly different layout, I mistakenly pressed the update all button then noticed that the kayak app was a paid update....... I only have the free kayak app and do not want to buy and paid version of this update.

Seems odd that a paid update was sneaked in and wasn't more obvious. It's not a great deal of money and don't mind that much but will this happen again with any othe apps?

Any tips to avoid this for next time or is this the norm?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sneaky. Thanks for bringing this to the forum's attention.

As far as advice goes, avoid "lite" versions whenever possible, or check the info before you download. I've never heard of this before, and consider it an underhand way of doing business, particularly now that updates don't need a password. How many "free" games will end up on iDevices with only a child's self-control to prevent a potentially costly upgrade? Perhaps a complaint to Apple...?

susanlackey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yikes, that is scary. I have been hitting update all as well. Mostly I use the paid apps, but there are a few that I just don't see the need for the paid app as I don't utilize them enough to justify paying for them. Thank you for the heads up, I am definitely going to be more careful.

OP
H

happytravels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps it was simply my bad luck but it was a free version beforehand and now it is a pro version. When I scanned the description afterwards it mentioned something to the effect that you could also download the free update......grrrr! You live and learn, I suppose, but I'd rather not have to read the small print every time there's a update for the numerous apps I have.

Not sure if it is due to the recent ios update but I seem to having problems with a few of the app updates and they have not updated fully. Is this normal?

Thanks for your replies.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I've never heard of this at all either....are you sure you were actually charged for it? If you have been charged, you can ask for a refund, you just need the number of the receipt
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/6539-how-get-refund-app-itunes-store.html

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help...shortcuts-helpful-places-people-new-ipad.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Keep an eye on your bills, but I doubt very much you paid for that app. You can't spend money by hitting the update button. If you did, contact Apple for a refund.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And report them as well. If they're doing this on purpose it's a very underhanded and shady business practice and reporting them can probably get them booted off of the app store.

OP
H

happytravels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for all your replies. How do I check, will they email a receipt?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
happytravels said:
Hi

Thanks for all your replies. How do I check, will they email a receipt?

Yes, if you have been charged you will get an emailed receipt of the transaction.

Can you let us know if you were in fact charged.

OP
H

happytravels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have one email from iTunes and one from Apple but neither are receipts.

This appears to be the one remaining app that has not installed fully. The button is greyed out and says 'installed' but the icon status bar thing (the blue line showing the progress of the app update) is only about 50% and has been like this for over a day now.

I'm confused. Will I be charged if/when it eventually fully updates? Was it a glitch or misunderstanding on my part? I don't know how to get it to fully install.

Any advice appreciated.

Btw I have more updates for other apps but am reluctant to update them :-|

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
happytravels said:
I have one email from iTunes and one from Apple but neither are receipts.

This appears to be the one remaining app that has not installed fully. The button is greyed out and says 'installed' but the icon status bar thing (the blue line showing the progress of the app update) is only about 50% and has been like this for over a day now.

I'm confused. Will I be charged if/when it eventually fully updates? Was it a glitch or misunderstanding on my part? I don't know how to get it to fully install.

Any advice appreciated.

Btw I have more updates for other apps but am reluctant to update them :-|

Updating them will probably trigger the hung update to complete. I doubt very much you would be charged for any update, ever.

niubuobuo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
Updating them will probably trigger the hung update to complete. I doubt very much you would be charged for any update, ever.

I also have the hung problem after I updated to iOS 6. Now the update would hang right at the beginning. I have had two separate updates since I updated to iOS 6 early this week. They are still in hanging state. I can't get them out of hanging state. Any has the same problem?

OP
H

happytravels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
niubuobuo said:
I also have the hung problem after I updated to iOS 6. Now the update would hang right at the beginning. I have had two separate updates since I updated to iOS 6 early this week. They are still in hanging state. I can't get them out of hanging state. Any has the same problem?

Hi

Yes I had that problem and had to try updating my apps several times before they finally all updated. Persevere and be patient. My updates took ages and last night when I synced to pc, it took hours.

Dhewson, thanks for your advice, I have updated all my apps and everything seems fine and I have not been charged for the kayak pro app. Seems strange that I have a pro app for free though!

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this query :)

Most reactions

Latest posts