What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quasar or Side By Side?

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I only discovered now that there is a free app which can give you multiple windows on the same screen - called Side By Side - and no jailbreak is required (I only knew about Quasar in Cydia before). Did anyone try both, which one is best/fastest? I guess Quasar has more options, but I remember the UI wasn't smooth anymore when using it.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Side-By-Side is a good app for viewing two different web sites, well, side by side. As is "sling Note" (IMHO; link here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sling-note-web-clipping-easy/id385068849?mt=8). Both allow you to see and do more than you can with the stock Apple apps.

But.

They are not the same thing as Quasar. The two apps I mentioned allow you to do multiple things within the app itself, only. You're not really seeing two or more different apps running on the iPad, the app has got multiple windows.

With Quasar, you can actually have more than one app open such as a calculator app, a web browsing app and a word processing app. So, that' styrene different apps at once. Again, the others are only one app with multiple functions inside.

So, there truly is a big difference between Quasar and anything else. Quasar is true multi-tasking along the same lines as a computer where you can open and view multiple programs/apps at once.

I know the developer has put a lot of work into Quasar and it works for those who want to use it. But, if you're not a jail breaker (or can't BE jail broken at this time), the other apps might do in a pinch.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry for that, I went on asking the question before actually installing and trying out Side By Side... :eek: As for Quasar, I think that was in iOS5 times, and I read it doesn't work on 6. Pity.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yup. Quasar is unfortunately iOS 5 only. If it was ported to iOS 6 as well, it would do wonders really.

Most reactions

Latest posts