What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Q] How can I crop PDF's and export the cropped file?

dasvolta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been searching for awhile and have been unable to find an answer, so my apologies if this has been answered already.

My question is how can I crop a PDF file on iPad and then export the cropped file for viewing/printing on other devices?

I have some scanned pdf text documents that contain large black margins that I am trying to remove before printing. I have tried GoodReader, PDF Expert, and QuickOffice HD, and PDF Reader Pro. So far, it seems that GoodReader is the only one that really lets me even crop the file. However, when I flattent/save/export, it does not save the cropping.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, it is just a single page or two, just get it full screen on the device, pinch to zoom as you like, then do a screen capture. With the image you want crapped to the full size of the screen, press the home and sleep/wake button. You will see the screen flash to a bright write when the capture is done. Then look in your Photos app and find the image (as a pic, not a PDF). YOu can then print that or email it. I'm sure you can find a way to make it into a PDF too.

There may be other solutions but I'm not sure what your true purpose is, so this is a quick & simple solution.

OP
D

dasvolta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's several multi-page documents, so taking a screenshot of each page is not really a practical solution. Do you have any other suggestions?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dasvolta said:
It's several multi-page documents, so taking a screenshot of each page is not really a practical solution. Do you have any other suggestions?

So what you really want to do is auto-crop every page of a PDF and save as a new file. Frankly, I'm not even sure I know how to get that done on a pc, let alone an iPad.

While you say the above method is impractical, it may be your only real option.

Was hoping someone else would chime in. If I can think of another way, I'll post again. I'm current in a restaurant in charlotte and don't have a pc with me.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GoodReader has a function for cropping all pages of a PDF at once. I've tried out this option.

I've included 2 screenshots from GoodReader as examples.

For the first, the icon you need is at the bottom of the screen and to the left of the icon that looks like an open book.

The second screenshot shows the switch at the top left in the on position indicating that all pages will be cropped at the same time.

You can export your document in "Manage Files."

Attachments

• image-2186272680.jpg
    image-2186272680.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 2,117
  • image-3149814527.jpg
    image-3149814527.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 2,050
Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Asharp said:
GoodReader has a function for cropping all pages of a PDF at once. I've tried out this option.

I've included 2 screenshots from GoodReader as examples.

For the first, the icon you need is at the bottom of the screen and to the left of the icon that looks like an open book.

The second screenshot shows the switch at the top left in the on position indicating that all pages will be cropped at the same time.

You can export your document in "Manage Files."

Very nice. I should have figured that GoodReader could do it. It is quite simple too!

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Very nice. I should have figured that GoodReader could do it. It is quite simple too!

Thank you!

If I had understood just what a useful app GoodReader is before I transferred so many files (over 600) to iAnnotate PDF, I'd use GoodReader a lot more.

OP
D

dasvolta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had previously tried this method and couldn't get it to work. Perhaps I'm missing something, but the problem I've had is that once you crop/export the PDF, the crops do not show up on any other machine/devices.

Goodreader allows you to annotate a PDF and flatten those annotations through exporting so that the changes are displayed on other devices. For cropping, though, Goodreader treats the feature as a iPad readability enhancement rather than a document editing tool, so the crops are not flattened into the exported document.

I'm on a work computer that prevents me from installing software, so iPad is my only choice. I deal with a lot of scanned PDF's, and I am looking for something that will let me crop the PDF on my iPad, export the cropped document, and then be able to view those changes on my work computer.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have a look at this app, which was just released July 12 in the App Store:

PDF Recombinator ($4.99, USD)

Now, I know nothing about it (it was one of five results for the search term "crop PDF" in the App Store). I've not downloaded it or tried it. But, the description does say that you can crop PDFs and save them.

I share your pain about Goodreader (and every other PDF app I own) - the cropping is only for viewing and cannot be saved after cropping. So, maybe this one will do it for you?

Marilyn

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I might be a good idea to write to Goodreader and request a true crop. They are very responsive. I asked for sky drive support a few months ago and now it is there.

Most reactions