What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pwntunes?

BruceBanner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am thinking about either selling my 64gb ipad2 or jailbreaking it. I have done some searches on the net for the benefits of jailbreaking the ipad2 but preliminary searches haven't really answered my questions, so i thought i'd post here.

1) My main gripe with the ipad2 was getting content on and off the ipad2 easily (and often). I am a windows user and DETEST itunes. Once jailbroken am I able to simply connect the ipad2 via usb to my windows xp pc and just drag and drop music/media files into folders (in a similar fashion to an android device)? Once jailbroken can I ditch itunes for good and never use it again? The type of media files i'd like to bulk copy across are mp3, and video/movie files and comic files (.cbr files).

2) Do i actually need itunes installed on my pc to jailbreak it in the first place?

PS I am already running 5.0.1

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am thinking about either selling my 64gb ipad2 or jailbreaking it. I have done some searches on the net for the benefits of jailbreaking the ipad2 but preliminary searches haven't really answered my questions, so i thought i'd post here.

1) My main gripe with the ipad2 was getting content on and off the ipad2 easily (and often). I am a windows user and DETEST itunes. Once jailbroken am I able to simply connect the ipad2 via usb to my windows xp pc and just drag and drop music/media files into folders (in a similar fashion to an android device)? Once jailbroken can I ditch itunes for good and never use it again? The type of media files i'd like to bulk copy across are mp3, and video/movie files and comic files (.cbr files).

2) Do i actually need itunes installed on my pc to jailbreak it in the first place?

PS I am already running 5.0.1

Hi. Sounds like pwntunes is the right thing for you then. It allows you to drag and drop media on and off the device without iTunes. However, it does not magically allow the iPad to support file formats which it does not natively play. So don't go expecting all your movies to be supported if they are not H264. mp3's are fine of course. No idea about comics. Sorry.

And yes, you must have iTunes to allow the jailbreak to complete, but after that you can get rid of it.

OP
B

BruceBanner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeh i was aware it wouldn't natively support file formats, i'll prolly use handbrake to convert or some other software. Cheers for that tho, jailbreak here i come!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You probably want to look at something like iFile to help you with comics and other files. It's an explorer / finder style file manager for the iPad. Have a look for it once you are jailbroken.

OP
B

BruceBanner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just one last question. With a jailbroken ipad2, can i wirelessly sync certain folders on my main desktop pc with folders on the ipad2. For example, I'm thinking when i add a new music album to my pc My Music folder i use a sync program (such as Allway Sync) and point it to the ipad2 Music folder. Same for comic files etc. Basically will I see the ipad2 on My Network Places or will i always have to usb it?

Most reactions

Latest posts