What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Putting more icons on one screen

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there a hassle-free way to put icons on iPad3 closer together, thus making it possible to squeeze more icons on one screen? I don't want or need any new themes or anything, I just wan to make use of all the available "real estate" in a more efficient way.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi there Commodore,

I have just checked the iPad settings screens, but cannot find any way of placing icons closer together.

However, it is possible to group icons into folders which are accessed from the different screens. See screen shot.

image-514732588.jpg

This is my method for organising apps.

To create a sub folder tap and hold an icon till the icons jiggle and a white X on a black background appears top left of each icon.

Then touch and slide an icon on top of another icon. A sub folder appears.

image-1442366844.jpg

The sub folder should open and you can name it in the space provided.

Is this of any help?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a hassle-free way to put icons on iPad3 closer together, thus making it possible to squeeze more icons on one screen? I don't want or need any new themes or anything, I just wan to make use of all the available "real estate" in a more efficient way.

With a non jailbroken iPad, you can't put more icons on any one screen than 5 rows of 4 icons, with up to 6 icons in the dock.

image-2430237154.jpg the icons can be replaced by folders, which can each hold up to 20 apps.

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know about folders and I've been using them since the first week. What I'm looking for is some way to stick, say, 6 rows of 6 icons, or even 7 rows of 6 icons, on the screen (I'm sure it's physically possible, given all the empty space around them). (on a jailbroken iPad, of course)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The theoretical maximum number of apps you can have under the icon arrangement on a stock iPad is 4,520 apps. Do you need more apps on your iPad? If so, there is likely a jailbroken tweak that could help you.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Take a look at the tweak Iconoclasm. There are a bunch of layouts that allow you to put more than the stock number of apps in a row or column. In addition, the tweak Springtomize 2 also allows you to set up more icons in a row, so there's that.

Those are the only two that I can think of off the top of my head. Hopefully, others will chime in with ones I've missed.

Marilyn

P.S. And, since you talk about a jail broken iPad, I've taken the liberty of moving your post over to the Hacking section. Thanks for your understanding.

SikYou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Infiniboard. This allows vertical scrolling similar to the Android app screen. So I only have 1 page of apps but scrolls vertically so everything is together. Much easier and better functionality than horizontal paging IMO.

And to add to the info about Springtomize; you can also change the size of icons (make them smaller) and the spacing to fit more per page. Think you can go as high as 10x10

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts