What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Push Notifications

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sometimes when I download a new app, it asks me if I would allow the app to send me new push notifications. What is a push notification?

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will send you notification when there is an update or more information available. You usually get a small popup box when this happens. It means you don't have to open the app to see what is new. It's not very intrusive, so IMO it's quite useful, but some people may not like it.

Edit: I should have mentioned - if you enable push notification and later decide you don't like it, you can disable it in your Settings, so you won't be stuck with it irrevocably.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are three types of notifications: Sounds (a beep), Alerts (pop up message), and Badges (little red number on the app icon). An app can offer any or all of them. You can turn them on and off individually by app and type, or the whole shebang in the Notifications settings.

DM51 hit the nail on how they are most often used.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is a very old thread.

These days, since iOS 6, you can change your Notification settings for apps by going to Settings > Notifications.

And they've added a new notification type, Banners that appear briefly at the top of the iPad's screen. Since iOS 5 I think.

Most reactions

Latest posts