What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purchased my IPad from a colleague...

padnewbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am a very new IPad user and am still trying to figure everything out.

One of the guys I work with got itchy when the IPad2 came out and decided he had to have it so he was selling his original. I never thought I would get one because I figured it was just a bigger version of my ITouch (a toy). Well he knew what he was doing because he let me take it with me to a conference to "use." Well I love my toys and of course had to have it!

So that being said, he gave it to me as is - left a lot of the apps on it that he had downloaded. I have done pretty well with cleaning it up and making it mine. I kept the good stuff, got rid of a lot of stuff I didn't want and have put stuff on it myself.

Here's my question - I can't sync it with my ITunes. I asked at the Apple store and the guy said I could connect and drag things to the IPad. Nope! Everything is grayed out. It says his name on the IPad (of course and I don't know if I can change that). And it won't let me drag anything over. It's not the end of the world but I have some of my kids movies on there that would be nice to move over. He doesn't have a lot from his ITunes on there but it's nothing I want. It's not the end of the world (have my ITouch, but it would be nice to have).

Anyway, sorry for the book - I am wordy!! Anyone else purchase a "used" IPad that has any tips would be greatly appreciated too!!

Thanks!! Vicki :)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem is that the content that was left on his iPad when he gave it to you was owned by him and was synch'd to his iTunes account. Although he sold you the iPad it's not possible for him to transfer ownership of the apps and other content. In reality, he should have 'cleaned up' the iPad before he sold it to you. The best way forward is to clear everything off the iPad and start again. You'll find several threads on the Forum on how to do this.

Tim

OP
P

padnewbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim, thanks so much for your reply. I went through everything on the IPad and really of everything left behind, the stuff I want is all free downloads. I will lose a few things I'd like to keep but nothing I can't live without.
However, I went through a TON of pages in the help forum and I couldn't find any threads that talked about clearing the IPad and starting again.
Could you please link me to a thread that would walk me through it?? I would be MOST grateful for your help!!!

Thanks so much in advance!!! :)
Vicki

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Make sure you are running the newest version of iTunes.

Plug the iPad into the Computer. Cancel any dialog box that appears in iTunes. Right click on the iPad under the Devices list and choose Restore.

I'm not sure what iTunes will do after the Restore is over, but this should return the iPad to the plug-me-into iTunes default. If iTunes does not immediately offer you the chance to set up and register your device, unplug it and plug it in again.

Alternately, you can go into Settings on the iPad, under General > Reset, choose Erase All Contents and Settings. Wait until it gets to the plug-me-in screen (a graphic of a usb cable and the iTunes icon), then plug the iPad into the computer and iTunes.

Either way it should offer you the opportunity to register and then set your iPad up. If you already have an iTunes account or Apple ID, use that. Otherwise it will give you a chance to create one.

Most reactions

Latest posts