What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purchased movies dissappear after viewing

GRABOWSKI2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pardon me if this is a dumb question as I'm new to the iPad, but I've purchased a National Geographic Series of 7 movies and watched 2 of them successfully. When I went back to see one again it wasn't there. It seems to have disappeared from my iPad after I watched it.

When I go back to my computer iTunes does show them all there, but has a little number "5" on the thumbnail presumably showing me how many shows of the 7 remain unwatched.

My question is - if I "Buy" a movie, don't I have the right to watch it over and over?

My first assumption is that I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks for the help and patience.

Gregory

NewBeeIpader2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GRABOWSKI2000 said:
Pardon me if this is a dumb question as I'm new to the iPad, but I've purchased a National Geographic Series of 7 movies and watched 2 of them successfully. When I went back to see one again it wasn't there. It seems to have disappeared from my iPad after I watched it.

When I go back to my computer iTunes does show them all there, but has a little number "5" on the thumbnail presumably showing me how many shows of the 7 remain unwatched.

My question is - if I "Buy" a movie, don't I have the right to watch it over and over?

My first assumption is that I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks for the help and patience.

Gregory

Hmmm interesting... I too thought purchased (not rented) movie were forever stored... Waiting feed back from those in the know.

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You probably click 'Rent' when you bought them from iTunes. The 'Rent' option is cheaper than buying the media, since 'Rent' items disappear after you finished watching them.

OP
G

GRABOWSKI2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KaiHD said:
You probably click 'Rent' when you bought them from iTunes. The 'Rent' option is cheaper than buying the media, since 'Rent' items disappear after you finished watching them.

There was no "Rent" Option for these shows, so I had to purchase them. Like I said, they remain showing in my iTunes on the computer, but the Thumbnail has a "5" on it indicating the remaining unwatched shows in the series.

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GRABOWSKI2000 said:
There was no "Rent" Option for these shows, so I had to purchase them. Like I said, they remain showing in my iTunes on the computer, but the Thumbnail has a "5" on it indicating the remaining unwatched shows in the series.

There is a setting in iTunes to remove "watched/read" items from your iPad. Most people use this setting to save space. However, you can switch this setting to something else. Look in iTunes when you sync and just change the setting to leave "watched" movies on your iPad.

OP
G

GRABOWSKI2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GlenL said:
There is a setting in iTunes to remove "watched/read" items from your iPad. Most people use this setting to save space. However, you can switch this setting to something else. Look in iTunes when you sync and just change the setting to leave "watched" movies on your iPad.

Thank you ... I can't find that setting. Under what menu tree? I'm using iTunes on a PC. Thanks in advance for your time.

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KaiHD said:
Connect your iPad to iTunes. Select your iPad from the sidebar- It should be under the TV shows tab.

Yes, your iPad must be connected for this to show up. Then either look in tv shows or movies.

OP
G

GRABOWSKI2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow ... That was not intuitive, but it sure did solve the problem!

thanks,

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GRABOWSKI2000 said:
Wow ... That was not intuitive, but it sure did solve the problem!

thanks,

Glad it worked out for you! The default setting of removing "watched" shows comes in handy when I'm listening to podcasts. I actually like how it removes ones that I've already seen to make room for new shows. However, I've started using stitcher radio, which makes downloading and syncing podcasts a thing of the past.

Most reactions

Latest posts