What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purchased books

garybrian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Can someone explain the 3 different options. I see PDF, Purchased books and Books (in I Books app). If I delete a book from books it stays in purchased books and I can't delete it from purchased books. Can someone explain why I can't delete it fom purchased books?
Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Once you purchase a book from Apple, it'll always stay in "Purchased" books. It's just like apps in that there is no way to erase them. They will always be there.

That's the way Apple works. Sorry.

Marilyn

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, unfortunately. They are tied explicitly to your Apple ID. As with app, they cannot be transferred to another. The person to whom you wish to transfer the books will have to purchase them for him/herself. Sorry.

Marilyn

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I believe in your collections, Books refers to the purchases books which are on your device, Purchased books are the ones that you paid for or got because they are free and may or may not be on your device, and PDF are external files that you transferred into iBooks for reading.

One problem I have found is that if you get a pdf from another app and transfer it to iBooks, it will not be saved in a backup. So when you restore those PDFs will be missing. You can always get your books that came from the iBookstore back, but unless you saved those PDFs on your computer some place, they will be gone. It is likely best to save your PDFs on your PC and then transfer them to iBooks via iTunes, to ensure they are backed up.

Another problem I have with iBooks, those I like it has an app, is that AFAIK, you can only read your books within this app! That means on an iDevice (I have not checked if iBooks in available on the Mac OS....that, IMO, sucks. If you get a Kindle book, you can read it in some many different places that the mind boogles. So I tend to get those instead.

If I am wrong in any of this, someone please correct me.

Most reactions

Latest posts