What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Puffin Browser - anyone tried this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

splh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded it a few days ago with the express intention of hopefully viewing flash on sites like BBC and so forth. Nadda. No works. This means it's just another browser.

I have no problem with the site of BBC, I can view all flash frames also advertisements.

bettafan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really like Puffin browser. Works great for me and has tabs, too, which Safari does not. Also allows me to do training courses that are in the Flash format.

Reaction score
It works great.

Does it really? It is rare that I hear this.

For me great is a relevant term.
Considering the source and what it's trying to do I consider it to work great at what it is doing. Is it XP desktop or Android Incredible quality and fast? No
For animated games and things of that nature I find it sluggish but for looking at sites like Zagg, uploading photos to photobucket website , my bank website, etc I find it excellent.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
I still can't. Flash is soooo hit and miss. More miss. I've yet to find a working solution via a browser.

For BBC, have you tried their app? It's free.

Of course, I use it everyday :)

But their 'BBC iplayer' app is for BBC tv program catchup in the Uk. Just browsing the general BBC web site has nothing to do with their Iplayer app. 2 different sections of the site completely.

Tazzmon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I downloaded this app as you are saying it has flash plugin.....

Well it does and most flash base sites works ok.
I really wanted this to work as I like using my pad for tv catchup.
I have the BBC iplayer app and needed something to play itv player.
Loaded the site all ok so far, selected a tv show to watch, the flash symbol show and the tv show started to load
Then it came up with a message saying it was only available in the uk, (I live in the uk)
So can someone tell why I get this message.

Thanks

Tazz

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tazzmon said:
Well I downloaded this app as you are saying it has flash plugin.....

Well it does and most flash base sites works ok.
I really wanted this to work as I like using my pad for tv catchup.
I have the BBC iplayer app and needed something to play itv player.
Loaded the site all ok so far, selected a tv show to watch, the flash symbol show and the tv show started to load
Then it came up with a message saying it was only available in the uk, (I live in the uk)
So can someone tell why I get this message.

Thanks

Tazz

Simple. Puffin is really a connection to a remote server that renders the flash website and then streams this content to the Puffin client. Because the puffin servers (which are actually what are accessing the ITV website) are not located in the UK the media they are trying to play back for you is blocked. This also affects Skyfire & iSwifter. Unless they use a server based in the UK or some kind of localised proxy, you will be unable to view territory restricted content. This also affects some BBC content as well as others.

Tazzmon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thanks donka....
I had a feeling that is what it was.

Tazz

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The first flash browser that gets round this territory issue gets my £££. I need localised support so I can view football highlights on BBC. iSwifter said it was coming but the issue remains...

High201

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cannot get any sound with this browser. Can anyone help me with this.? Thanks

hh10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Choppy video and no sound @

At the following site:

Sorry, system won't let me post complete web address. Edited by Moderator ~ that is because you are not to post outside links. Read the rules ~ SP

But, try to view any "live draw" and you will get very choppy video, and no sound.

what to do?

Use your laptop for flash:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Puffin has made some updates which make the browser better. Almost 100 percent of the flash supported sites work with this browser. It is still a bit jumpy but it works. I have not found a better browser to view the flash than Puffin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts