What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Public WiFi Hotspots

Tom P.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok... I am a little embarrassed to ask such a nube question but here goes. I don't have my iPad2 yet (arriving tomorrow... fingers crossed) but I do have an iPod Touch (3rd Gen). I use it mostly at home and connect to my wireless network without a problem. However, when I am out and about I have found that I cannot connect to a lot of public hotspots such as Starbucks (Bell hotspot) or when at the airport (Boingo). These wireless networks show up on my iPod's settings screen and I do get a checkmark beside them indicated I am connected, but I cannot use the internet or mail or any online service. Yet I see a lot of folks with laptops that are connected at these locations. When I asked how they connected, they show that a website pops up and there is a logon or connect button on the site that gets them going. I do not get this popup... hence no connection.

I assume this will be the same situation when I get the iPad. Obviously, I am missing something in the process.

Thanks,
Tom

madcapjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My new iPad hasn't left the house so can't say, but my iPod touch, have 2 actually, both 4th gen, will not hold a wifi connection anywhere for longer than a few minutes.
Do you have your iPod set to ask to join other networks?

OP
T

Tom P.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My new iPad hasn't left the house so can't say, but my iPod touch, have 2 actually, both 4th gen, will not hold a wifi connection anywhere for longer than a few minutes.
Do you have your iPod set to ask to join other networks?

Oh ya... it will connect automatically to other hotspots such as those in hotels etc. I am just having trouble with Starbucks, almost all airports and a few other public WiFi hotspots. Like I said, all of these hotspots trigger a webpage or the like to logon to them (without password) when on a laptop computer. My iPod, and I assume on an iPad, will not produce this logon webpage. It shows a valid connection on the General Settings screen (checkmark) but nothing works (Safari, Weather, Mail etc.) because I am not acutally connected to that wireless network.

Jo.Booty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok... I am a little embarrassed to ask such a nube question but here goes. I don't have my iPad2 yet (arriving tomorrow... fingers crossed) but I do have an iPod Touch (3rd Gen). I use it mostly at home and connect to my wireless network without a problem. However, when I am out and about I have found that I cannot connect to a lot of public hotspots such as Starbucks (Bell hotspot) or when at the airport (Boingo). These wireless networks show up on my iPod's settings screen and I do get a checkmark beside them indicated I am connected, but I cannot use the internet or mail or any online service. Yet I see a lot of folks with laptops that are connected at these locations. When I asked how they connected, they show that a website pops up and there is a logon or connect button on the site that gets them going. I do not get this popup... hence no connection.

I assume this will be the same situation when I get the iPad. Obviously, I am missing something in the process.

Thanks,
Tom

Certain network services, such as Boingo, require payment of a fee before you're allowed to access the Internet. Even though you've established a link with their network, internet access is restricted. Normally there is a popup screen when you first try to access the Internet which explains their terms of service, it's typically an hourly or day-rate and provides for payment options via credit card. 3G iPads through AT&T get free access to their hotspots..

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks,
Tom

When I'm in Starbucks I join the network - so iPad shows I'm connected - then, when I start Safari, it automatically takes me through to a webpage from the service provider. There I can either enter my credit card details or, if I ask nicely at the Starbucks counter, I get a code that I can enter to give me free WiFi access. This is in Aberdeen Starbucks where the staff are stars (and I'm not a Starbucks employee or investor). But it's the UK so maybe the situation is completely different here..

Tim

OP
T

Tom P.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Certain network services, such as Boingo, require payment of a fee before you're allowed to access the Internet. Even though you've established a link with their network, internet access is restricted. Normally there is a popup screen when you first try to access the Internet which explains their terms of service, it's typically an hourly or day-rate and provides for payment options via credit card. 3G iPads through AT&T get free access to their hotspots..

Ok... thanks for that. This explains my Boingo problem. But what's up with Bell hotspots in places like Starbucks. Laptops are connecting via WiFi without any charges.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Ok... thanks for that. This explains my Boingo problem. But what's up with Bell hotspots in places like Starbucks. Laptops are connecting via WiFi without any charges.

You need to go to the counter and ask for the password. Once you've entered that into your iPad it will join automatically in the future without you having to enter a password etc (although this can be changed via the 'Settings' app)

Have fun and enjoy your Skinny Venti Cappuccino...

Tim

snoitan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Always keep in mind that some hotspots -- even free ones -- may want you to agree to their terms of use via the Safari browser. The Wi Fi in the hospital around the corner from me does this. They just want to get some legal protection, but the Wi Fi itself is free.

Basically, always go into Safari when using a hotspot and having some problems. Obviously, you can't agree to this page if you are in the YouTube app.

Most reactions

Latest posts