What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Protector screens now banned from Apple stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rumor on the loose ... starting in May Apple owned Stores are apparently banning add-on films. The ban will impact all forms of screen film, including completely clear film, anti-glare film, and mirrored film, regardless of whether the purpose of the film is protective, decorative, or both. It will also prevent sales of film for iPods, iPhones, iPads, and Mac computers. :confused:

This info is bound to get some reactions.

Gorilla Glass is really tough and scratch resistant ... very hard optical glass ... almost diamond like.
The aluminum case is part of the heat dissipation scheme ... extra film barriers may affect heat transfer??

Last edited:

Gmenfan83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Starting in May Apple owned Stores are apparently banning add-on films. The ban will impact all forms of screen film, including completely clear film, anti-glare film, and mirrored film, regardless of whether the purpose of the film is protective, decorative, or both. It will also prevent sales of film for iPods, iPhones, iPads, and Mac computers. :confused:

Gorilla Glass is really tough and scratch resistant ... very hard optical glass ... almost diamond like.
The aluminum case is part of the heat dissipation scheme ... extra film barriers may affect heat transfer??

Hmmmm interesting ...I wonder what the motive is ....you would think they encourage people to use protectors since it might cut down on people scratching their screens ....although gorilla glass is awfly resistant

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They also did this when the original iPad launched. Their reasoning was that it spoiled the user experience, and had the potential of pulling off some of the oleophobic coating when the protective screens were removed after some time.

I agree that there's no need. I found my original iPad screen to practically bulletproof and impervious to scratching.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hate screen protectors as they all degrade the quality of the image.

Just keep the screen clean, don't touch it with dirty fingers, don't sit the side of the smartcover that touches the screen on dirty tables etc. and you have nothing to worry about.

It only gets scratched if you get something very hard on the screen and then drag it across.

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Totally agree. I think the screen protectors are worthless, and a game changer. When my iPad 2 arrives though, I might get one to protect the back only. Is Apple just talking about the screen protector? Or even the clear protector for the back?

OP
M

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Starting in May Apple owned Stores are apparently banning add-on films. The ban will impact all forms of screen film, including completely clear film, anti-glare film, and mirrored film, regardless of whether the purpose of the film is protective, decorative, or both. It will also prevent sales of film for iPods, iPhones, iPads, and Mac computers. :confused:

Hmmmm interesting ...I wonder what the motive is ....you would think they encourage people to use protectors since it might cut down on people scratching their screens ....although gorilla glass is awfly resistant

The so-called rumor ban is only in Apple owned Stores. Perhaps a way of inferring their products are tough.

Last edited:

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cases comes with free protectors as well, will they ban those too?

MadDragon1846

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused. So is it saying you won't be able to buy things like invisibleshield from anywhere, or just from the actual Apple stores?

Or if it's not to do with that, are they basically saying if you put a protector on your ipad, they won't fix your pad if anything goes wrong with it?

If it's the 2nd thing, then couldn't you just protect your ipad as usual, and if something goes wrong with it, just take off the protector before you go to the store to get it fixed? (after all, the protectors dont leave any residue on the ipad).

Whatever happens, I'll be sticking on a Bodyguardz to protect the back, beings I plan on using the Smart Cover.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MadDragon1846 said:
I'm a bit confused. So is it saying you won't be able to buy things like invisibleshield from anywhere, or just from the actual Apple stores?

Or if it's not to do with that, are they basically saying if you put a protector on your ipad, they won't fix your pad if anything goes wrong with it?

If it's the 2nd thing, then couldn't you just protect your ipad as usual, and if something goes wrong with it, just take off the protector before you go to the store to get it fixed? (after all, the protectors dont leave any residue on the ipad).

IMHO they would have to fix it as they are still selling the screen protectors in the store now......I'd like to see them defend that in court!

That's why I made my post above, the whole thing doesn't make any sense, if there is a problem which Apple are aware of why not ban them straight away, why wait until May.

Something here doesn't quite smell right.

Oh and FWIW, I don't use screen protectors.

The Archangel

madsquabbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if manufacturers get away from this trend of making stupidly reflective screens i'll stop using screen protectors.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if manufacturers get away from this trend of making stupidly reflective screens i'll stop using screen protectors.

While I don't like glossy screens on my large displays, I love the glossy iPad screen. The first thing people say when they see my photo portfolio is how great the glossy screen makes the images look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts